On some mornings I can't decide whether to drive a car or to take a train to go to work.
I may walk out of my home and even when I reach the car not to be certain I will sit in it since the train station is only five minutes away. Or it might happen that I plan to go to the train but I find myself sitting behind the wheel.
The car is great - I go when I want, arrive at school early before the students and get some work done, and when I leave right after the school day is over, I get home even before the train leaves the station in the city. About forty minute drive. The afternoon feels long.
But driving can be stressful, especially in snow or strong wind or in the dark or all of the above. When I drive home, I move less. It's unlikely I will leave the home again. More likely I find myself sitting on a sofa.
Then again, on a rainy day the car is warm and dry and it takes me form door to door. And I can go to opera or ballet in the evening and know I can drive home after the last train has left.
The train is great - I can sit comfortably and not worry about the traffic, speed or signs. I can take a nap or read or watch out of the window or all of the above. Can you imagine how much reading I get done when the train ride is forty minutes long? Since the train station is away from the school I can be sure I get more than 10 000 steps. Health benefit. Plus the train is environment friendly.
But the trains go on certain times. I get home an hour and half after the school finishes. If I miss a train I have to wait and I might get hungry and then I need to eat something, better something good, perhaps in a cafe, creating unexpected expense. There are two bookshops, a chocolate shop and a tea shop on my way to the station. Hard to resist temptations. I often end up buying books or chocolate or tea or all of the above. Not planned purchases.
Then again, when I choose the train and don't rush, I can visit an art or a photo exhibitions or both, and this makes me happy.
Can you see how the the choice is not black and white, one better than the other?
Today I drove.
Tomorrow. I'll decide in the morning.
It is nice to have choices. As with most things there are pros and cons to both. I like the idea of the brain because in those 45 minutes you can relax, read, mentally plan for the day or just let you mind go blank as you stare out the window. I like driving because you can get to school earlier, make sure you are organized for the day, leave at the end of the day when you are ready, and stop anywhere along the way you choose. Choices!
ReplyDeleteI agree with Robert. What a great thing to have choices. I don't live 5 minutes from a station, but it's only 10-15, and if I'm wanting to go a distance, I love to just get on and not have to worry with traffic sometimes. Choices are so good!
ReplyDeleteAll the best points lean towards train for me. But it's so nice to have options some times.
ReplyDeleteI like the convenience of the train. I can relax. I can read or observe and gather ideas. I don't have a choice, I have to drive. I would prefer to have choices.
ReplyDeleteI envy that you have the convenience and option of a train. Our public transportation is awful. I would love to be able to people watch on a train!
ReplyDelete