Pages

Saturday, March 9, 2019

First week reflection and celebration

My journals -
one for quotes form reading,
one for slices,
one for education related ideas,
one for my Tuesday writing workshop 

I am sitting on a living room sofa, my blog window open on a laptop, waiting for my words. I contemplate whether I should fill my empty tea cup standing sadly on a little white round coffee table, or is the thought a way to avoid writing. The sun plays hide-and-seek with the clouds, spilling over with laughter each time she makes an appearance. The sunshine brightens the colors of pink and red tulips and golden daffodils - flowers I received yesterday for the International Women's Day. I can almost believe that spring might come. I had the same belief last weekend only to discover the deepest layer of snow returning over night on Tuesday. We'll see.
My youngest left early in the morning for a dance practice. My hubby is driving my oldest to the standard dance championship in the city. I will join them later. For now I have some time to write my slice.

I celebrate that I was able to write every day for the first week of SOLSC challenge. Some slices I wrote in notes on the train and then posted in the evening. Some I wrote after school at home, either before dinner or later in the evening after cooking and eating. I have read less and exercised less to make space for writing. Every day I went to bed later than usual to make sure I commented on other people slices.  It was never just three, yet each time it felt not enough considering the large number of participants. I miss the words and stories of my friends who chose not to participate this year.

Only a fraction of what the week held found it's way to the pages. Things I didn't write about: a leadership retreat, an exhibition mentoring meeting with a PYP5 student, exhibition mentors meeting on Tuesday after school, Tuesday writing workshop, the first teacher mindfulness session on Thursday morning at school, three coaching meetings on Friday, the student-led workshops.

I did not have a plan when I started this challenge. Open to what the days might bring I was ready to accept any topics. On some days I thought I had chosen what to write about, but opening the blog the words didn't come and the topic changed. I knew exactly what to write about on Wednesday and Thursday. My intention has been to capture a little part of my life, paying attention to the word choice and structure, but not worrying too much about it.

I appreciate everyone who visited my blog and left me a comment.

Wishing everyone a relaxing weekend and an inspirational new week!

16 comments:

  1. As we begin this month-long journey I think many of us feel the same way. There are days when I'm not sure what to write. While I could write about my day as a teacher, I want to balance that with other writing. I, too, find myself carving in the extra time for writing which sometimes takes time from other activities. I enjoy reading other writer's posts and enjoy the comments. I always make it a goal to comment on the most recent three posts and then try to find time to read and comment on others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for one week down! There are days I don't know what to write either. I don't want my words to be wasteful or empty. There is some pressure there. Thanks for your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a thoughtful reflection on week #1! Developing a writing habit is hard. Sustaining one is even harder. One line from your blog resonated."I miss the words and stories of my friends who chose not to participate this year." I agree. None of my real-life friends participated this year and I miss them too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for a week down! I always find myself commenting on more than 3 slices. I know how much I love comments so I try my best to comment on as many as I can. Your mindfulness session sounds delightful! Would love to know more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your post has me thinking about the "plan" I chose for this month's challenge. While I chose it to learn about my students, I miss looking for parts of my day worth writing about. I also miss those who are not participating, but I enjoy visiting you! You are always the writing cheerleader, and I appreciate that! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you have different journals for different purposes. Congratulations for the first week of slicing! You always inspire me!

    This is so true... developing and sustaining a writing habit is a challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always take something away from your slices, Terje and today after a few days of not slicing I am happy to join you on my couch with a cup of coffee and read and comment. So nice to have this experience in March :) I needed it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, one week is down. I think we all make some concessions so that we are able to fit in daily writing and commenting. Sometimes our topics are clear in our head while other times we don't know what we will write about until we sit down to write. Sometimes our planned writing doesn't happen and some other topic fills the page instead. This is all part of the March Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your title lured me in as I was thinking I needed to reflect on this week of writing. I've been distracted in recent years and writing has been hard - yet this year - I seem to be finding slices in my life that make this year - so far - easier. I love catching up with "old friends" and meeting the blogs of "new friends" and I too find the desired to read and comment daunting at times. I am trying to comment on the posts around mine and then scan up and down to catch those that have catchy titles! But like you, some nights I realize I am up too late and HAVE to get to bed.....Happy week 2

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah for us all! One week successfully down. My struggle this morning wasn't about what to write about, rather how to get my ideas down in a short and concise format. I have too much to say. My strategy was to pick another topic.
    Thanks for your words reminding me we are not along in this struggle.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that you dedicated today's slice to reflection about the week. I may borrow that idea in the future! :-) I, too, had some days I knew just what to write about and other when I started without a clue. Sometimes those turn out the best! Another take away from your post is how we have to make choices along the way about what gets sacrificed to make time for something else. We can't do it all! I'm glad you chose to write, though. And wow - you had so much going on this week! Love the idea of a teacher mindfulness session!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It has been quite a week. I thought I would have nothing to write about, but rather long winded posts describe otherwise. Happy week number 2!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice to reflect on the week of writing and how we write. Some days are tricky to find the time or the words but they do seem to come. Happy Writing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loved your photo of your different journals. They each have a purpose. I have so enjoyed reading your slices this past week. So much to learn again.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the reflections and insight. I love your use of imagery!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Terje, this morning I am setting aside time to write and read other slices. I want to thank you for joining me at my blog several times this month. I feel comfortable reading your blogs as friends would but ours is a long distance friendship and I wish I could just walk over and sit having tea with you. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete