Pages

Sunday, March 10, 2019

What is something you wish never to change?

My Sunday slices are often short, mostly about slow morning, sleeping family, a cup of tea and a book I might be reading. My Sundays overall are slow and rather uneventful because I choose them to be like that. The less happening the better. The weeks are eventful enough. School takes majority of my time.
Opening the blog this morning I was sure I would write about yesterday's dance competition. My daughter got the fifth place as she herself predicted and we were mighty proud of her. For me she and her partner are always the most beautiful couple on the floor. You can see them dancing here (she is in a red dress) at 2:23:00, and the all finalists after the single performances are done. There are five dances. The quickstep also included individual performance.
I didn't craft a slice for this competition. I have another little slice in my head, a slice from Friday morning at school, that I can't get out of my head and wishes to be shared.

......................................

J. was the morning circle person. We had finished the round of greetings and pulled out a little slip of paper with a daily question on it.
"What is something you would never want to change?" he asked.
I could see everyone turning inward to think of an answer.
My first reaction was: This is a stupid question. Everything always changes. I can't complain though. I was the one who wrote the questions. What could I answer? I wish Chocolate would always stay in the world? So shallow.
I didn't say anything.
K. straightened up, "I wish that people would always continue making friends."
M. smiled, "I wish my family would never change the way we get along."
J. added, "I wish there would always be goodness in the world."
I didn't see this coming. My kids offered so lovely answers and then I knew what I wished never to change.
"I wish that as I grow old my kindness and compassion would never change, that I would not become and bitter old little lady."
I am serious about this. I have seen that when people get older, some of them start seeing the world through a dark lens and they can't find anything nice to say. I wish I will always stay open-minded, curious and kind. Fortunately I have some beautiful examples from my life for this too. And from media. I saw a movie of 100-year -olds who were sweet, caring and grateful. 







8 comments:

  1. Now THAT is a good wish. And so true. I wish the same. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A post that begins with a beautiful dance, and ends with beautiful thoughts. I am heartened by the hopeful nature of your students--and you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! There is so much bitterness in the world already that we don't need to add to it as we age. Congratulations to your daughter and her partner. I watched the video - beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice. I love that the kids figured out how to respond when you yourself wasn’t sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely and uplifting - in every way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Terje for stopping by on my blog. I am always curious of who are the people behind kind or encouraging words, and I am glad I found your blog. I really like both part of your slices. Congratulation on your daughter´s achievement! The circle story is uplifting. Children know better. PS: I am also in the IB world :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is quite the contemplative question, and I am in awe of your students' answers. Dome days I feel like I am that bitter old lady. Maybe I need to print Dahl's quote and frame it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sometimes the wierdest circle questions produce the best answers and reflection. One of my favorites in 5th grade: if you could change gender for a day (and no one would notice) would you do it? Why? Gets them talking about gender equality and inequality everytime!

    ReplyDelete