Pages

Monday, March 25, 2019

Breathe in, breathe out

At 7:55 a.m. I had already talked to the director, shared a google doc, reserved a table at a restaurant, printed out two tasks for the students, sorted some papers, used the accounting app to scan in two receipts, written a schedule on the board, and sent three emails.
I closed my laptop and walked to the next classroom.
The mindfulness teacher had set few chairs in a circle.
On Mondays it is hard to predict how many teachers would show up. We always have more participants on Thursdays. On Mondays it seems that people are too busy getting ready for the week. In order to attend the short practice I always drive on Mondays and arrive at school early. This way I can get things done and still join the gathering.
Three more colleagues arrived, we sat down, feet on the floor, back straight, shoulders relaxed, eyes closed, and let the teacher's voice direct us.
Even though there was noise in the hallways, and my mind drifted to the day ahead, I was able to notice when my mind wondered, refocus on the body parts the teacher asked us to focus on, and returned to my breath. Always returning to the breath. The anchor.
After the productive early morning, after the fifteen minutes of mindfulness, I was ready for the day.
Breathe in, my dears, breathe out. Especially when you feel busy.

7 comments:

  1. What a great way to get ready for the day as well as the week. The key is breathing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to participate in something like this! What a wonderful way to start the day (and week)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the opportunity you have to practice with others. And the last two sentences are the best advice ever: "Breathe in, my dears, breathe out. Especially when you feel busy." Thanks for this lovely beginning to Monday's rush.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so amazing! A mindfulness group!! "Breathe in,dears..."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how I wish I could be part of this practice. Wishing you a peaceful week, Terje!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel peaceful just reading about your start to your day. I would love to hear more about this idea...can you share how it got started, how your school promoted it, etc?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's me, by the way...for some reason I clicked too fast and didn't change my name from the default. ;)

      Delete