How hard can it be to find a little word? Sounds easy?
This is because I haven't said what I wish the word to do.
I need a word that would:
- be ready to challenge my self-protecting ego
- force me to look deeply into me
- help honestly assess my strengths and limitations
- limit the excuses
- nudge me out of my comfort zone
- turn dreams and plans into action
- challenge my assumptions and thinking
- show my blind spots
- encourage me to speak with people to solve problems not to hide from them
- show compassion and care for me
See. Not one word but many show up. I wrote a long list of words. A team.
Can one word do a whole team's work?
I believe it can.
Last year I had "open" as my word. It was a mighty word that brought me many amazing learning opportunities in seven different countries, invited new interesting people in my life, and provided numerous nourishing and inspiring experiences.
The word I am thinking about has been on the list of choices on several years but I wasn't ready. It seemed too big and powerful for me.
I am not sure if I am completely ready for it, or if anyone is ever completely ready for the word, but I choose to trust it.
My One Little Word for 2019 is "Dare." Inspired by Brene Brown. I read "Daring Greatly" some years ago. I am reading "Dare to Lead" now. And Gabi Compres' little poem gave me the last nudge.
Previous OLW posts.
Great word. Opens up so many opportunities.
ReplyDeleteA wise tactic to ask what that one little word should *do* for us. I appreciate the thought you've given the task. It surely must bear fruit over the course of a calendar year and beyond.
ReplyDeleteA great word Terje! I love Brene Brown's work - she is so wise and has made me think so differently about vulnerability. Dare is a great word!
ReplyDeleteYou dared to keep searching and you found the perfect word. Congrats! May you have a daring and awesome year ahead!
ReplyDeleteLoved reading about your OLW journey Terje - your year will, no doubt, more than live up to expectations.
ReplyDeleteI love the idea of choosing one little, powerful word to guide the year ahead BUT sometimes it is a quite the daunting task! Thank you for walking us through your journey all the way!
ReplyDeleteYour one little word fits your descriptors, Terje. Dare to live each life living moment to its fullest and watch the sparks fly.
ReplyDeleteWow - open sounds like a successful guiding word and dare sounds bold and brave. Best wishes with your journey.
ReplyDeleteDare is a big word! How many adventures and experiences you will have this year in honor of your OLW! Amazingly, "dare" actually covers everything on your list that you were seeking in a word.
ReplyDeleteI love DARE as a word!
ReplyDelete