Outside duty on a winter day provided a wonderful break from a busy school day. Properly dressed for a cold weather, I stood in the school yard and enjoyed watching all the winter fun happening around me during the break after lunch yesterday. Some second grade boys rolled in a snow. One first grade boy stood under a tree branch and pulled a branch to have a snow shower. Pair of second grade girls pushed snow shovels to create paths on a basketball court.
One of the girls, smallest in her class, hat and coat covered with snow, suddenly stopped next to me.
"Ms. T, have you noticed anything strange about my brother lately?" L. asked with all seriousness.
"He was fine. Did something happen?" I answered and wondered whether I had missed something important in the morning when L.'s fourth grade brother had been in my class.
"Nothing happened, but I have noticed that he behaves strangely lately," L. leaned on the shovel and frowned a little.
"What do you mean?" I probed further, getting a bit worried.
"Well, for example he asked A. to smell his hands, and then laughed that A. smelled poop," L. explained.
I noticed I had been holding my breath, waiting for who-knows-what news. I exhaled.
"I wonder what his motivation might have been? Maybe he thought it was funny?" I asked.
"I don't know. It was strange. So my friends and I created a club "Keep K. normal" and plan to observe him," L. shook her head as if still thinking of the hand smelling incident.
"I'll check on him in the afternoon, " I answered holding back a chuckle.
L. started walking off, and then turned back, "I would appreciate if you reported back to me after school. Thank you."
After the lessons L. showed up at my classroom door, "How did he do?"
"Everything was ok," I answered.
"Great! Then he gets a chocolate," L. declared and waved a bar of chocolate above her head.
Ahhh, to be young. My days of playing in the snow are long gone. Love the seriousness of L's voice as she was discussing her brother. Wonder how chocolate was chosen as the prize.
ReplyDeleteLove this simple and totally realistic slice -- filled with pure love and concern. You brought it to life beautifully - I could her voice and see every shift in her body. Thanks inviting us into the scene.
ReplyDeleteClare
This wonderful story makes me smile! I could imagine her concern for her brother and the protective stance of a sister on a mission in the schoolyard - where children can be children!
ReplyDeleteAw- I love the part where she asks you to report back. What a perfect small moment to capture in your slice.
ReplyDeleteThank you for this morning's smile. Little ones are the best to solve problems, aren't they?
ReplyDeleteWhat a funny story! And I love the chocolate bar reward!
ReplyDeleteThe sibling concern is beautiful. I like that she asked you to report back. That was the best.
ReplyDelete