Pages

Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Writers wander and wonder

I had a plan. A wonderful plan. As wonderful as going to the park the week before. Having three lessons in a row allows leaving the classroom. More than that it's the fact that I have a family size class this year. It provides me a different kind of freedom. I envisioned how I would walk with my students through the old town and back, giving one more tool for collecting ideas. Writers wander and wonder. We read "Wonder" by Amy Krouse Rosenthal to show how wild the wonders may be, "Why Poetry?" by Lee Bennett Hopkins to create a mood and for a bit of challenge "The Summer Day" by Mary Oliver.
Journals and pencils snuggly resting in a totem bag over my shoulder, we stepped out from the school building into the bright sunshine. We started with "What do you wonder?" as soon as we closed the gate behind us. Crossing two streets, passing a parking lot, a hotel and one apartment building we were about to walk past a small park. Noticing some outdoor chess tables we thought it might be a good place to write down some of the wonderings before we forgot them.  We wrote.
When I thought we might continue our journey, my students looked at me and said, "We like it here. We can stay and continue writing." I respected their choice. My plan and vision didn't happen. Wonderful writing workshop happened nevertheless.

You might wonder together with us:
Do sparrows and crows understand each other's bird language?
When a sea gull sits on a lamp post and looks down, does he wonder about us?
If birds wanted to write would they use a beak, wings, tail or legs?



7 comments:

  1. Writing and wondering happened - and that's cause for sweet celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your flexibility! What a wonderful opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great way to encourage students to feel ownership over their writing processes. I have plans to do something similar with my college students once it gets a bit warmer here in Chile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing is better than writing workshop out of doors. And your students were immersed in their wonderings so much that they didn't need to wander any more. Kudos to you and your students!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I know this was simply fantastic for one and all! "Plein air" painting is a thing...why not for writing as well?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is great! I might try this on Thursday as I have my first garden club meeting of the year. We have wonderful school gardens to "wander about" and wonder! Journaling in garden club - for sure! We've even written poetry before! Thanks! (The Apples in my Orchard on Wordpress.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Noticing, wondering, and writing-all part of the never-ending habits of writers, Terje. I like how you provide space for your students to grow as writers.

    ReplyDelete