Pages

Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Write it down


Once again we have settled for the morning slice of life writing in the class. Today the mentor text was my "Right Now" from yesterday, and we made a list of additional verbs we could use. I invited them to try writing from the present moment and they also had a choice to write any other slice if they wished. I wonder how many are writing what they see-do-think right now and how many are writing another slice about their early morning. They would have plenty to record from this short morning writing. But they don't seem to be writing at all.
S. has put down his pencil, picked up a pair of scissors, and tries different angles to reflect the sun into O's eyes. O is balancing himself on a bouncy ball, face all concentrated, staring at his journal, ignoring S. F. is nestled deep in a red armchair holding his pencil above his journal as if magic could happen and words would pour from the pencil onto the page. H is fascinated with observing what R is doing next to him on the blue sofa. I sincerely hope he is drafting sentences in his head. R is taking time to decide whether to pick up a pencil or a piece of bread that he had brought into the classroom and placed next to his journal on the oval coffee table in front of the sofa.
When I glance at I and C, they are writing.
I turn back to the not-yet-writing boys, and produce my most enthusiastic teacher voice.
"O, look at S, holding the scissors. Write it down. S, what are you thinking? Write it down. F,  what do you feel? Write it down. H, do you see the piece of bread on the table? Write it down. R, what are you doing? Write it down," I cheer to them.
Boys look at me as if I have lost my mind completely, put their pencils on the paper and write. Do they write what I suggested? I don't know. It could be that they return to writing about breakfast. I can understand them. Today would be a perfect day to write about my breakfast. I had a large poppy seed roll, soft and sweet, and mint tea for breakfast.

10 comments:

  1. Ha! You are following your own advice :) I enjoyed the details of observing all your boys not writing. Also, your piece is filled with respect for their process- you never know what they are thinking, or if they are working in their minds. And I like the closing about your breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are very descriptive in your writing. I can see this happening in the classroom. It looks like your strategy with them worked though; at least they started writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are truly a patient person watching and waiting for the writing to begin. Your breakfast sounds wonderful.
    Your comment on my post made me laugh. There is no list, those things are the strange things that I notice and think about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You detailed your observations so carefully - I could see your classroom as I read. Sometimes I wish I had a real magic pencil like the one you described as you wrote about F. Then my "words would pour from the pencil onto the page." That would be even better than a soft, sweet poppy seed roll for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your details are great! I feel like I am right there in the classroom with you and the boys who at least wrote something!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved having a window into your classroom and can relate when watching kids "write", enjoyed envisioning the boys through your descriptions.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your description of what everyone was doing and how you turned that into writing. I wonder what was going through their heads when you called them on what their were/weren't doing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cool that you are able to model your posts with your students. They are so fortunate to have you as their teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Agreed, I love that you share your writing with your students and use it as a mentor text. :) Everyone needs a little nudge now and again. Write it down.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love popping into your classroom and watching your boys. You're so patient and respectful of their process. It took me back to the years I sliced with students. I miss it now!

    ReplyDelete