Pages

Thursday, March 29, 2018

A book spine poem

Thank you, Amy and Leigh Anne, for the reminder to create a book spine poem. I have created book spine poems almost every year I have participated at SOLSC during the past years.  


As the challenge approaches the finish line, it may feel that the ideas and words are done, exhausted, and there is nothing to write about. Book Spine poetry is a playful way to write. So many choices of titles, so many choices of arranging them, so many possibilities. When I thought of the books to use for today, I knew instantly about the books I had seen in Grade 3 classroom next door. I'll share my poem, the covers of the books, and a page from each to get you curious in case you have not read the books. I hope this will give you inspiration and nudge in case you didn't know what to write today.



Wild ideas
Any questions?
What do you do with an idea?
The most Magnificent Thing





Wild Ideas











I hope that you will have words floating around that spark an idea. Capture them gently and write them down.

13 comments:

  1. I love the books that inspired your spine poem. How clever of you to share a taste of each of them. The Most Magnificent Thing is a great read aloud and inspires lots of classroom discussion. I was excited to see a book by Mary-Louise Gay that I didn't know. I'm a huge fan of her Stella books and will definitely check this one out. I also was totally wowed by the illustration you shared from Wild Ideas. Finally, have you read "What Do You Do With a Chance?" It's the latest in that "What Do You Do With..." series and it's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love book spine poems and haven’t tried one this month. Maybe I’ll try one tomorrow.
    Yours is simple and sweet and captures much feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know Wild Ideas, I have the other three. Will have to find it at the library. Love spine poems, I usually write at least one, but somehow I didn't get to it this year. I guess that will be an April post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for including so much about the books!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a fun idea!! It would be a great activity to do with kids during April.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how you not only shared your poem but also a snippet from each book. What a great way to get someone hooked.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perfect idea to include the covers and a page from each book. Something new to add the next time I write book spine poetry (which I did today). I love all of these books, but I think Any Questions is my favorite. So glad to read the words you capture and write down.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perfect book selections that made a beautiful spine poem. All beautiful books, except I need to check out Wild Ideas. And that phrase you captured at the end ... brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful theme for a book spine poem. I love all of these books too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is poetic: "t may feel that the ideas and words are done, exhausted, and there is nothing to write about." Your post and poem and books providing inspiration are a lovely reminder that words await. We only need take them and use them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Moving the spines to illustrations from the books added such dimension to your piece.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved reading your Book Spine poem!! And I love that you used pieces from the books to add to your spine poem!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the inspiration! Your poem is so appropriate for all of us participating in the SOL#18 Challenge. I liked this last thought, "I hope that you will have words floating around that spark an idea. Capture them gently and write them down."

    ReplyDelete