-from Julia Cameron's "The Right to Write"-
The other day I sat down and gave myself 10 minutes to write. The words gladly slid down my fingers onto the page. "I can do it! I can write!" I cheered to myself.
I am back on the sofa, with mint tea in a glass cup on a low round coffee table next to me, no one else at home. Perfect conditions for writing. But the words don't come. Instead they look back at me asking, "What do you want to say?"
"I don't know," I answer honestly. I have had very intensive two months. Travels. Workshops. Exciting learning. Wonderful sites to see. Teaching and leadership work continued. Add a photography class. Input. Input. Input. Not enough rest. My brain demands some down time to rest, and then time to sort and organise what I have learned, plan what I have to do for the rest of the school year,
On my way home today I thought of drafting a slice in my head. I thought about the contrast of the scary blizzard in the early morning on my way to school and the bright sun on my way back making me almost believe that spring might arrive. I came up with the one sentence I shared with you. I thought why I write anyway, and the only two reasons I came up with were: I might be crazy (knowing how busy I am why did I choose to participate in SOL?) or I like playing with words (calling my blog my writing playground). I vote for the second option.
I came close to skip writing today. Almost gave up. Then thought again about the idea of playing.
"What would be my game today?" I asked myself, took out my Kindle, turned to Julia Cameron for help. The quote above was the second one I had highlighted. My whole body relaxed.
This I could do. A listening game.

That's a great quote and it led you into your slice perfectly. Who knows that scary blizzard might just slip into a post one day.
ReplyDeleteIt's interesting that having perfect conditions for writing doesn't always mean the writing flows easily. I like the way you wrote about what you were thinking. I'm so glad you showed up at the playground to play with words and listen.
ReplyDeleteI love that image of listening for the things we happen to think about. I do find that situation you describe very interesting--having the time and will to write, opening the notebook, and then.... nothing. I have been thinking about that situation a lot this month, though I haven't experienced it as often as I usually do during March! Here's to writing to think!
ReplyDeleteThis was a great slice. I feel this more than I would like to admit - having the time and wanting to write and then not feeling like the right words just don't come.
ReplyDeleteSo glad you didn't skip today. Sometimes after a hectic time we find it difficult to write because our minds are full of so many things that when we think about writing we draw a blank. However, if we write what we think there is always something. I really enjoyed this post since we are so close to finishing the challenge and I, too, find myself trying to come up with ideas and drawing blanks.
ReplyDelete