Pages

Saturday, March 24, 2018

10 minute writing

Place: my laptop, living room sofa, my home, Kohila, Estonia
Time: morning, the rest of the family (all three daughters at home, yeee!) still sleeping, after breakfast, before going to a vision conference at a local gymnasium as the school board member.
Goal: to write my slice in ten minutes before I have to leave home

Timer on, here I go.

I introduced the idea of SOL to my students. We talked about various possibilities for slices, I shared some examples, and we made a simple list of characteristics for SOL - short, personal, every day moment, rich detail, you care about it. Every morning I gave a mini-mini-mini lesson on craft to try out, and 10 minutes to write. Whenever I had an opportunity, I pointed out, during lunch, after recess, when they told stories, that these might make good slices. Every day I sat down with them to write my slice to model myself as a teacher writer. On some days I shared my blog posts with them, the ones where they were included. After few days we looked at what different people had written about.
I was surprised and puzzled when I found out that day after day several boys wrote about their morning. I understand writing about morning routine,  have often written it myself, but day after day, when their lives are rich with school lessons and breaks, after school activities and home life, it made little sense. When I asked them about the choice they had made, one of them commented that we always wrote in the morning, and morning at home was the only thing in his memory.
My take away: Vary the time of writing
My wondering: Does the time when I write influence what I write about?

Time is up, and I should go.
Last words: this was an interesting experiment with the timer. I added few bits to the beginning and it took me 12 minutes altogether to write this slice, including some editing (mistakes may still appear) but not revision.

8 comments:

  1. Now you have me wondering about my writing time. I usually write in the mornings. How much does this influence what I write? Should I consider trying writing at another time. Hmmmm...definitely something to think about. I also wonder if those boys are having a tough time recognizing the story ideas in their own lives, so they just go to what happened last. How great that you're slicing with your students!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great udea to set that timer and write - so simple yet so powerful.
    And kudos to you for writing in front of your students. I agree that the hardest part of writing for some students is seeing the stories in their lives. Keep sharing your slices and they might catch on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting reflection - personally it does for sure. I know a lot of professional books tell teachers to always have it at the same time of day -- now I will remember to mention the pros of variation! Thank you
    Clare

    ReplyDelete
  4. Neat idea. I really got a lot out of your reflection - and only 10 (well, 12) minutes. I love that you have a takeaway lesson even from a short slice. Though even as I type this comment, I feel the nerves of the time deadline. Still, might have to try it...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Huh, this makes me wonder about the time I have my class write - I also do writing in the mornings. I love your think-out-loud writing style! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know I have often given my students time limits for writing but I never did that for myself. It is something I need to try after reading your post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like this idea of giving yourself a time limit sometimes. When I give myself or my students limits, I always seem to want to write more!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What interesting thoughts about writing! I loved reading about your process. And wow-you are an efficient blogger...writing a post in such a short time!

    ReplyDelete