It happened. A writer's block fell from a sky. It was a rain
of blocks, solid, harsh, gigantic writing blocks. I am buried underneath. Rest
assured, the damage isn’t too bad, mostly bruised pride and scratched self-esteem.
I remember the instructions in case of writing emergencies.
Just sit down and write.
I have a mound of blocks over me. Down won’t do. Up, I need
to get up. I wriggle, push, shift, stretch, push, and wriggle some more, until
I am in an awkward semi sitting position, more like diagonally leaning in
between. Close enough.
Now for writing. How am I supposed to do it in this non-inspirational
dark environment?
Movement helps. I wiggle my toes.
My brain needs oxygen. Is my brain still there?
Where’s light? I snap my fingers for a spark.
I conjure images of exciting writing territories.
I imagine following a golden idea thread.
I envision magnificent thought building.
I shout out an affirmation: I am an appreciated
inspirational author.
Headache. Concussion. Delusions.
I give up.
Help!
Anybody?
I’m hungry.
What’s for dinner?
*I was very surprised when I wasn't able to come up with an idea for a slice. So far it had been easier than ever before. The ideas seemed to enjoy visiting me and words cooperated well. It felt silly that three days before the end of a challenge I wouldn't be able to write. I searched for inspiration in some writing books. Over and over the message came - sit down and write. Also advice to let thoughts flow, or collect words and play around. The message and advice helped.

Your post proves the quote at the top of today's TWT page. In the end, we just have to sit down and start writing, don't we.
ReplyDeleteThis post is adorable and soooo true! I love it!
ReplyDeleteI'm slicing this month because I had one of those too. With today and two more to go, I won't invite bad luck by presuming premature success. Still, I'm reasonably optimistic. It's not my first blogging block. Realistically, it probably won't be my last. Not all are the same. Making lemonade out of the proverbial lemons, each one teaches you something about yourself and your writing.
ReplyDeleteThere's gamblers' saying about trying out something different to break a streak of bad luck.
And write you did. I love your line "I wriggle, push, shift, stretch, push, and wriggle some more, until I am in an awkward semi sitting position, more like diagonally leaning in between." I could feel your struggle to settle down and write.
ReplyDeletei feel like i have the same feeling as you right now. I have no idea what to write about for tomorrow!
ReplyDelete"I am an appreciated inspirational author." Yes, you are and even in the depths of this blockage, you managed to both inform and entertain. All good!
ReplyDeletePerfect - I am sitting here going through posts looking for an idea. I also are stuck today. Each of my post are getting shorter and shorter. I went to my list of ideas and nothing moves me to write. I will see what happens so glad you found a post - even if it is about being stuck!
ReplyDeleteWe all seem to hit writer's block sometime during the month. Yet we somehow all overcome it and keep on writing. Writing about nothing is still writing about something.
ReplyDeleteHa! That was my day, too - but, something always comes if one waits long enough.
ReplyDeleteTerje, In 7 challenges, I didn't think you ever encountered writer's block. Realistically, I know you do. Everyone does. But it was refreshing to read you overcome it!
ReplyDeleteYou are so creative, even when you profess to have not one idea to write. Who thinks of actual blocks falling and burying the writer? A very clever writer who has super powers to fight the force of no words. Well done, again!
ReplyDeleteGreat visuals. I imagined some sort of tetris nightmare with coloured blocks falling from the sky.
ReplyDeleteYes, you're putting into words what writers feel. Pushing, struggling, then finally defeat "What's for dinner?" Thanks for a great slice!
ReplyDeleteSit down and write - this is always the best advice. And, as for getting writer's block three days before the end of the March SOL Challenge, well...it happens!
ReplyDelete