Pages

Friday, March 17, 2017

what you need for a meeting

"How was the day?"  a father inquirers, standing at the classroom doorway, buttoning his brown wool blend overcoat. His daughter, my student, packed in her snow pants and jacket with a school bag on her back, leans against the door frame. She is licking an ice cream. I guess they were in the cafeteria buying the ice cream when I was in the hallway talking to other parents and saying good-bye to the students.
"The exciting thing was that we were invited to middle school winter fair. The students had some specialist lessons and the rest of the day I allowed independent study. M. focused mostly on division and puppet play script writing," I give a short overview, pick up two markers and a ruler from a table, push in one chair and walk closer to the two. The day had been calm need, each student choosing and prioritising their tasks for a day, and my role was to help each one individually.
Dad looks at the daughter, she looks back, nods, but doesn't say anything, he mouth full of ice-cream.
"It was a good day then," he smiles, takes the daughter's hand and adds, "Have a lovely afternoon."
"Remember, there is no school for students tomorrow," I remind the student and her father.
"Oh, yeah. In-service day for teachers. I hope the meetings will be productive," the father says and wraps a colorful striped scarf twice around his neck, "What have you planned for tomorrow?"
He was my supervisor during a leadership course some year ago, before his daughter came to my class. My final project for this course was to implement protocols during the teacher meetings. Ever since the course he has been curious how I run the teacher meetings. I gladly share what we do and how we do it. The meetings are energetic, fast paced and productive. Strange to say but I actually enjoy the team meetings. Committed and enthusiastic teachers give me a positive boost.
"Analyzing planners tomorrow," I share.
"Have fun," says the father and starts moving.
"And don't forget the tea, carrots and chocolate," says the girl with a big smile before following her dad.
"She knows you well," comments the father over his shoulder and waves me good-bye.
Tea, carrots and chocolate - good reminder.

6 comments:

  1. I hope you had the energized meeting you envisioned, especially since you had tea, carrots, and chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this small peek into your meetings, Terje, wish I could see you in action, too. This is a nice peek into a pleasant conversation with a former colleague and your student. It makes me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope the meeting was productive, I was sorry to miss it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ice cream, tea, carrots, and chocolate - I want to be in your classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun to see this little glimpse of an end of the day conversation. It's clear that father and daughter both know you well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Food is such a leveler.

    ReplyDelete