a) on a wooden chair behind a table
b) on a blue sofa
c) in a red armchair
d) on a window sill with pillows
e) on a bouncy ball
f) lying on your stomach on a carpet
g) on a blue bench in front of the white board
h) on a colourful sofa in the hallway
i) on adjustable office chairs
j) under a round table
For a long time the most favorite spot in my class was the windowsill. They raced for it, tried to squeeze three together, fought over the pillows, until we agreed that two was enough and we made a rotation schedule.
Last week, for some unknown reason, one girl made a little nest under a round table. Since then the students have found their new favorite place. The place with the least light.
In Estonia we have health and safety inspectors visiting schools and one of the things they carefully monitor is appropriate lighting. That someone might read under the table would not even cross their mind. Our director on the other hand finds that if students wish to sit under the table it is our responsibility to find ways to attach light to there. Maybe led lights with a battery, because the inspectors don't allow any wires on the floor either.


john re
ReplyDeleteI like that they have the freedom to go where they want to go.
I know that Ikea chair.
Nice flowers!
Nice list
I always liked setting up comfortable spaces for reading in my classroom, too! I would definitely fight over the windowsill, too! :)
ReplyDeleteOh, my, sounds like the choices make more work for you, Terje. There are those stick-on LED lights. I'm guessing that's what you mean. The chairs look very comfy, though.
ReplyDeleteSo many choices for reading in comfort! Interesting that you have inspectors looking into lighting in the classroom. Sometimes I wish we did. Often teachers turn out the lights for reading time, I have issues with it because they don't have a lot of natural light in the room. It's too dark to read!
ReplyDeleteIt is so nice that you have all of these wonderful reading spaces throughout your room. The window sill looks inviting to me. A cup of coffee...a good book...I'd be set for the afternoon.
ReplyDeleteI want the blue sofa. Would love to come and read in your room!
ReplyDeleteI used to have blankets the kids could drape over a side of a table to make it a tent - not on all 4 sides though, as that lead to playing instead of reading. A flashlight or headlamp gave us light if we needed it. You won't "strain your eyes" if the light is dim. That's why the kids pick some spots - it's cozy and not so bright!
ReplyDeleteI want the window sill with pillows or the colourful sofa in the hallway. And with a spot of tea and a square of chocolate and a good book, I'd be set.
ReplyDelete