For years now I have asked and received one gift from Santa - theater tickets. This time I had to wait more than two months before the actual performance. On Friday evening my husband and I sat in a small theater hall at the Estonian National Library and watched Lutz Hübner's Ms. Müller Must Go.
The play spoke to me. Behind the humorously exaggerated characters were real life situations.
Parents always have their child's interest in the focus.
They want the best for their child.
Parents think they know what and how everything should be at school.
Since their child takes the biggest attention it distorts the view and makes it challenging to see the big picture.
The parents don't necessarily understand how complex the classroom life and learning can be.
The parents can't imagine the chemistry and dynamics that may get on a way of achieving pedagogical goals.
The parents have no clue how the family situations and parent relationships influence what the child does and feels, or how the child behaves at school.
The teacher may have the best theoretical knowledge and long experience, yet sometimes some situations become so challenging that they almost require a miracle to be solved.
The teachers make miracles happen but not always.
The teachers sometimes forget that it's not easy for the parents either.
The teachers may feel so vulnerable that self-defence or self-pity takes over.
The teachers don't always know how to handle these situations with calmness and kindness.
Many problems could be avoided with open communication, listening, considering different points of views, looking at situations from many angles, having patience, treating each other respectfully. appreciating the effort from everyone, and most of all, considering what the child needs at this moment.
The one hour and forty minutes passed quickly. As a teacher I liked the play a lot. I was engaged, I laughed, I made connections with my own experience. My husband, not a teacher, said he considered it a good play too and the time was well-spent.

You hit the nail on the head with this sentence..."Many problems could be avoided with open communication..." Communication is the key. So many problems could be diverted if we would just communicate.
ReplyDeleteSounds like a great play! I should go and see it too :)
ReplyDeleteThere's something so immediate about theater that makes it a favorite venue for me. "The play spoke to me. Behind the humorously exaggerated characters were real life situations." Every teacher could share a few tales of crazy parents and every parent has a story or two of crazy teachers. We do need communication - I love the way your takeaways took the perspectives of both parents and teachers.
ReplyDeleteYou know I wrote about point of view today too, and it is important to consider the "other" side and that life with children too. Love that there is a play about this. I'm glad you liked it, Terje.
ReplyDeleteCommunication is the key, but sometimes we are so concerned about what we're going to say that we don't hear what others are saying. It sounds like it was a delightful play and one that had a lot of good things to ponder upon.
ReplyDeleteThat sounds like a play all teachers would connect to, so I'm glad your husband enjoyed it as well. Sometimes parents can only see their child and teachers may find it difficult to explain the dynamics of a classroom. Glad you had a great time. Santa knows just the right present for you.
ReplyDeleteI haven't been to a pa in way too long - and a play I can connect to as a teacher? never! Great that you had such a lovely evening, Terje.
ReplyDelete