An email from "Success Academy" popped in my mail. The name sounded overly ambitious and filled with air. Curiosity won over my usually "delete all strange emails."
An invitation to a "once in a life time" and "World famous speakers" conference with "set your own price" option, limited seats, was offered. I clicked on the link of speakers. Never heard of one. Heard of one of the titles they had written. Curiosity overrun my knowledge of advertising tricks.
I am a tea, sofa, book person. I am all about education person. Most of the time I am down to earth person. Event "Passion for Success" organized by a business newsletter and "Success Academy" sounded far from my ordinary life. Strangely this exactly what fed my curiosity. I knew this event would be completely different form my interest circle. I am a curious person.
I made an offer and gave an explanation why should I get a ticket with the price I offered. In less than an hour I received a response that if I wanted I could by a ticket.
So I had an option to say "no." I said "yes." I received a bill. I could have not paid when I received the bill. I paid. I could have written that they can give my place to someone else and give me a refund. I didn't take this option. If I hadn't paid I could have used this money to buy five hardcover books.
I felt such a fool that I didn't want to tell anyone I had bought a ticket to this event.
I reasoned that I could consider it my early birthday present, a learning opportunity, a research for writing.
On Sunday I showed up and discovered that the hall was packed with people. Three rows of people sat in the VIP section meaning they had paid four times more than I had. The people were the bold and beautiful type. I safely took a seat in the last row.
When the event started I considered this the strangest event I had ever been to. The music boomed, twelve purple lights beamed across the stage, eight small screens had pictures of red and yellow bubbles on them, and a huge screen took up the whole back wall. When the organizer walked to the stage people stood up and clapped. So not Estonian. The organizer invited the first speaker.
Janet Attwood entered to some upbeat music and asked people to dance. People danced a little. I sat. She asked to stop, told some stories, reminded about being open minded, have fun, and then asked to dance again. People danced with more energy. I danced. If I was going to spend eight hours on Sunday at this event I might as well dance and take the most out of it.
Then I listened. After a while I was hooked. I laughed. Wrote notes. Took a passion test.
By the time Jack Canfield started his session I was fully engaged.
I still consider this one of the strangest events I have been to. Yet, I don't think I was a fool. Enriching and entertaining the event took me out of my element, provided food for thought and ideas to try out.
(I'll share some of the learning tomorrow)



Ohh, I was so nervous for you as you spelled out all the chances you bypassed to get out of this. I'm so glad it wound up being fun and energizing, even if it was really weird!
ReplyDeleteI was thinking in the beginning that you were going to describe some sort of scam. I am curious to hear more.
ReplyDeleteYour thought progression had me captivated. I am glad you felt enriched even though it was in a bizarre package! Here's my slice for today: http://iheartpurplestuff.blogspot.com/2017/03/be-brave.html
ReplyDeleteOne can never be too cautious about this type of hype. I'm happy that it turned out to be a successful event and one that you enjoyed.
ReplyDeleteI would have felt just like you. BUT I don't know if I would have been as brave as you. Bravo for your bravery in trying something new. Can't wait to hear what you learned!
ReplyDeleteYou made us worry for you, Terje. I thought it was going to be a scam! How wonderful that it turned out to be an excellent, out-of-your-comfort-zone day! I'm looking forward to what's next!
ReplyDeleteI thought you were going to tell of a computer virus that latched on to your computer by clicking on the link. Now your curiosity led you to an unlikely adventure that has every reader curious about the next installment of this saga. Aren't you a clever writer?
ReplyDeleteI was nervous for you, but things turned around after all..it's your attitude of positivity, though, that had my attention, and respect.
ReplyDeleteI, too, was worried that this was a scam. So glad it wasn't. They say curiosity killed the cat, but satisfaction brought it back. Glad you had a satisfying experience.
ReplyDelete