Pages

Thursday, March 30, 2017

Beauty on Thursday afternoon

After a rather intense meeting about how much time documenting student learning, writing tasks and comments takes, wondering how much is enough, and is it all really worth it, my three colleagues and I buttoned our coats, wrapped scarves around our necks, zipped the teacher bags, locked the classroom doors and walked into chilly early spring afternoon.
It took us some time to find the right spot In Old Town. We almost missed the unnoticeable old building on a narrow side street. The hall was plain and dull. The entrance was like a construction site. We entered through thick plastic sleeves and suddenly we stood in a large room with a high ceiling with paint peeling off. All four walls were huge screens. In the middle of the room three slightly glowing lamps showed light to a circle of few wooden benches and low stools.
Suddenly we were surrounded with classical music and the screens and art of the floor filled with brush strokes. In front of our eyes van Gogh's paintings grew and changed. Transported millions of miles form the school meeting, we sat mesmerized. Painting after painting filled the screens, the music changed according to the mood of the paintings, the colors merged, the details of the paintings moved, the scenes faded and new ones emerged. After Van Gogh the animated works of Monet and Klimt followed. 
We waited something good but received a deep emotional experience.


*How we ended up at the show:
Standing behind a red light I caught a glimpse of a billboard inviting people to a multimedia exhibition. The traffic light and billboard changed at the same time. I didn't completely see where and when the exhibit was. When I arrived at school, I did quick google search, found the info and forwarded it to my three friends. We put it on our plans but then life got busy and we had to postpone it. This Tuesday we tried to find another date. Apparently we all live rich lives because the only common available time was this Thursday after school. You can imagine how glad we were that we went today.

 

 




3 comments:

  1. What a gift after a full, busy day at school. I wonder if it is a traveling exhibition we might be able to find in the US.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm happy you got to see this, and then shared, Terje. Wow. I'll share with my daughter who will be interested. She is the program director at our Museum of Contemporary Art, and this sounds like something they'd love to know about! Happy Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A wonderful experience made more so because it was shared with friends. Glad you found the time to go and then shared with us.

    ReplyDelete