Pages

Tuesday, February 14, 2017

doing the right thing

Wouldn't it be great if the positive behavior and attitudes would spread like sunshine into every corner of the classroom, and all the kids would make the right choices, and we would be a big happy family with broad smiles and words of honey on our lips?
In reality it maybe the mistaken behavior that catches like a virus. Some kids, for various reasons, may need extra time and help to learn appropriate social actions and how to manage emotions. Sometimes you have to pick your battles. Sometimes you have to give in a little to move forward. Other kids watch and question. When one doesn't follow rules, why should they? When one uses bad language, why can't they? When one doesn't complete tasks, why must they?
Here's why:

My students sit in a circle and watch as I sketch on white board with a green marker: a bald head with a robber's mask, a speeding car and a trash bag under a fir tree.
"These are some bad choices people make. Why are they bad?" I ask.
No surprise that fourth graders can explain these situations.
I draw two other people with thought bubbles, "Why should I follow rules?'
"What would happen if the people who know the right thing would make similar choices as the people who make bad choices?" I question.
Horrible. Awful. Disaster. Ruined. Catastrophe.
"I know what she is trying to tell us," one of my students suddenly shouts out, "This is like us with the choices."
Everyone looks at me expectantly
I smile, nod and take a cap off a blue marker and sketch two stick figures and write "mistaken behavior" under them, and then sketch three more stick figures with think bubbles "Why should I do the right thing?"
"What would happen if the students who know the right thing would choose the mistaken behavior?"
Horrible. Awful. Disaster. Ruined. Catastrophe.
"We would all turn out as the bad people on the top picture," shouts one boy.
"Remember when during the last unit we talked about the fight between evil and good throughout the history, and how all of us have the dark and the light in us. Even when everyone else is making the wrong choice, you can make the right one. This is the only way to make the good win," I share my final word.
They get the point.
It seems.
I hope.



11 comments:

  1. "It seems. I hope." Nothing like a good analogy to aid the learning, Terje. Everyone, including adults, needs reminders once in a while to choose the good thing. I love hearing about this talk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great way to make a point. More importantly, the students made the connection so hopefully it will stick with them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a fun way to demonstrate this important social and life skill. It is a lesson they will remember -- and hopefully act upon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope this will bring the sunshine to your classroom and spread sunshine to every corner. I think your students now have a lot to think about with the choices they make. Great point!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good analogy for an important lesson; I like it. Lesson taught and in-the-head learning is in place. Now for living the lesson out each day so it becomes in-the-heart learning. I am thankful for teachers like you, Terje.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the method of drawing the situation, with thought bubbles. i am sure our students - at least mine- get tired of my voice and welcome something novel.
    Great to find time for this kind of discussion.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a class that should have been sitting in on this lesson! Virus is the correct word to describe it. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love how you connected it to literature. Literature is humanity and we first need to examine our humanity to truly connect with literature. Powerful when you make these connections for students. Look forward to hearing how it goes.
    Clare

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a great lesson! Love your last lines. It's like the quote that your character is who you are when no one is watching...

    ReplyDelete
  10. "I hope." This is what we work towards, right? The hope that our words have an effect, that they are remembered when the time comes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a powerful lesson, and one that adults need too. You can make the right choice. I bet this illustrated lesson is one they will remember. We hope!

    ReplyDelete