The writing isn't always easy.
"This is what I will write about," flashes through my head many times during the week, sparking phrases and sentences I'm determined to record later, yet hardly ever do. (I know, I know, I know I should daily write in a journal - a habit I have failed to keep.)
Saturday arrives and the week is left behind a shut door, closed after work days. Trying to peek back through a keyhole, the vision is a bit blurred, everything seems distant and miniature.
But I want to hold on to the good that happened.
The days were packed with little scenes, tied with thoughts and labelled with emotions. Gifts of memorable moments.
I am ready to write, then worry how to write so it wouldn't sound as bragging, wouldn't be blindingly self-centered, wouldn't scream "Look at me! Look at my life!"
I can't take myself out of the story. After all it is my story that I am recording. What I would like to figure out is how to best write in a way that the readers would know that I am thinking about them, they matter and they can find themselves in my words. Something I am working on.
What can I celebrate and share from this week that would be useful to others?
- If you get to go on a field trip to a back stage of a theater and later see a ballet performance during a school day, even if it means that you won't have time to plan or take a tea break, even when you have been to back stage twice before and seen the same children ballet three times, still go, it is so worth to see the magic.
- Appreciate when a parent finally admits that what you have been trying to tell them for two years is true, they seek expert help and the student will finally get so needed support.
- When a school offers a free yoga class, say yes, and go, give it a try. It doesn't matter that maybe you can't completely follow all moves or that occasionally you may feel funny or tired. It will get easier. Your health will benefit from this.
- Feel guilt free when you give time for your students to create friendship cards for the 14th of February, an activity that may not connect to any units of study. Better join this activity and make some cards yourself without worrying about your artistic talents.
- Buy some Shrove Tuesday buns (soft yeast dough buns, spiced with some cardamon, filled with jam inside, topped with whipped cream, sometimes drizzled with melted chocolate and powdered sugar) on a Friday long before the actual Shrove Tuesday arrives. Buy them especially when you know that your sister has tasted many buns in various places and recommends the best ones for you.
- Enjoy very minute of an Estonian (or any other) Culture Day with workshops for kids and a folk dance and violin concert. Be a risk taker and join a folk dance when invited. It is a wonderful way to finish a week and start a winter break.
![]() |
| A miniature setting of a ballet Modigliani. It was interesting to see the setting of a ballet i had seen last month. |

Love this sentence: "The days were packed with little scenes, tied with thoughts and labelled with emotions." Terje, you've made the mundane,"distant and miniature"into "memorable gifts." Thanks for your back thoughts; in them I heard echoes of my concerns when I write a #Celebratelu. I like the form you used to share your celebrations.
ReplyDeleteWhen you bring us into your life, it never seems like bragging, but rather like getting to see often familiar experiences from another perspective and sometimes getting to see different and unique experiences. The buns you described were new to me and I enjoyed reading about them. And every teacher can be glad with you that you were successful in communicating to parents so that a student will receive needed support. Thanks for thinking of your readers, and know that it is felt and appreciated.
ReplyDeleteOne of the reasons I love participating in blog linkups is that I get to experience life through so many different perspectives! So thank you for taking us along with you on your days, and sharing your little celebrations and everyday experiences with us!
ReplyDeleteI love the picture, an intriguing look at new, but old, art. No matter what you share always brings me joy, Terje, so don't worry about being useful. Bringing joy is something all of us can use! Love that you sometimes push yourself to try new things, and then share how wonderful they were. I love hearing about these things in your week. Have a good winter break!
ReplyDeleteI think you need to go back and reread these words that YOU wrote: "I celebrate the power (each one of us has) to bring a positive feeling to someone's life." That is what you do Terje, when you share your words each week. We feel each other's joys and celebrations, and that is certainly not bragging. Now, about those buns...yummy!
ReplyDeleteTerje, this was a beautiful, self-reflective post that speaks freely of celebrations: But I want to hold on to the good that happened.
ReplyDeleteThe days were packed with little scenes, tied with thoughts and labelled with emotions. Gifts of memorable moments. You provided these special moments for us to linger in.
So much good happened, Terje, I am glad that you looked back and shared it all with us.
ReplyDeleteIt is rewarding when what you believe to be true with a student is realized and supported by other professionals. Love the feeling I get from yoga, especially after the guided relaxation. I, too, forget to write in my journal. Thank you for your honest sharing.
ReplyDeleteLove reading your celebrations each week. "But I want to hold onto the good that happened." This is why I love celebrating each week with my online friends. And my favorite has to be the time you gave to making friendship cards, an activity that didn't link to any unit of study. And joining in on the fun without any worry about artistic ability.
ReplyDeleteI have been reading Celebrations lifting favorite lines. "Trying to peek back through a keyhole, the vision is a bit blurred, everything seems distant and miniature." This is so true for me especially when the week was a bit crazy with ups and downs. Then I pause and I find my celebration. I agree with Ramona we all need to hold onto the good that happened.
ReplyDelete