Sometimes I feel that I am nobody. It sounds awful when said out loud or seen in writing. Don't be alarmed or worry about me. The fleeting feeling visits me at odd times. At first I dismissed it as ridiculous. Then tried to hide away form it in fear. Finally I accepted that being nobody is a question of perspective. Looking into my life from the furthest point from myself my existence becomes insignificant. I am anonymous data, statistical entity, invisible to the world. Looking from inside out, centering myself among the people who matter to me, noticing the connections reaching in many directions, I feel taking shape, having voice, making ripples. Mostly the connections - close and far, every day and virtual, strong and lasting, and also the small and short - add color to me as somebody. And when someone unexpectedly lets me know they thought about me, the warmth of gratitude fills my day. This week two tweets and a blog post form Leigh Anne lifted me up. Her virtual touch made me feel real. Leigh Anne has a mission, the best mission one can have, to lift others, to make them feel like a somebody.
I celebrate the power (each one of us has)
to bring a positive feeling to someone's life.
A lovely surprise from
Leigh Anne.
Thank you,
Ruth, for inviting us to celebrate!
In a funny way, I sometimes find it comforting to think of myself of just a speck in the vastness of the universe - it makes my problems seem smaller, in a way, compared to everything else going on in the world! Sometimes it's all about perspective, as you say.
ReplyDeleteYour words spoke to my heart; I found a poem in them.
ReplyDeleteNobody
I am
Insignificant
Anonymous data
Statistical entity
Invisible
To the world
Someone
Thought of me
Warmth filled my day
Lifted me up
A virtual touch
Made me feel
Like a somebody
I think you've touched on a feeling that is very common. I love the idea of a virtual touch. It's amazing that we have the capability to connect to others through technology and social media and in turn touch each others' lives.
ReplyDeleteI echo Lisa's comments. I am constantly embraced from people I have never met through their kind words. I always appreciate honestly in a Saturday celebration, and I believe Ruth has encourage all of us to talk about life when it isn't perfect.
ReplyDeleteYou often hit on emotions many feel. Today is no exception. Lovely celebration of Leigh Anne and your own ability to reflect and share. In this process you lift us up.
ReplyDeleteTerje, the virtual bonds that we all share makes us a significant somebody in a circle of trust. Leigh Anne is a warm and genuine friend that is aiming to help others rise as they lift themselves into the world.
ReplyDeleteYes, I know how you and I can fee that we are insignificant in the big sphere of life swirling around us and within us; however, when I reach out into cyberspace, I remember we do matter. Your words and thoughts and images help me to rise from my sadness...and I hope that you know that for many years, you are part of my cybernetwork of support. Peace and hope for a week with happy celebrations ahead.
ReplyDeleteI'm always in awe of the far reaches of our community. Isn't it amazing that Leigh Anne felt compelled to write a found poem from your writing at a moment when you needed it? Here's to a celebration of touch, the real and the virtual, that has the ability to brighten our moments.
ReplyDeleteTerje, your words are ones I read each week more than once because they are so thoughtful and then beautifully written. And then this week I saw that post from Leigh Anne and I loved that she took the time to do it, to show how much she loved your art. It is a community that I appreciate in my life very much. Thanks today for again making us think about perspective.
ReplyDeleteThere are many of us who feel the same, Terje. I give thanks for this virtual touch that brings us all together.
ReplyDeleteThese virtual touches are so important for all of us. I am so thankful for all I receive. Yes, we all have the power to bring a positive feeling to someone's life!
ReplyDeleteI saw Leigh Anne's post and thought of you Terje - how the virtual world allows us to be somebody for someone just when they need it.
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad we have the chance to connect with so many people via this celebrate meme and Twitter. I too have felt the touch of others virtually just when I needed it. :)
ReplyDelete