Pages

Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Inspired by Franki Sibberson: 100 things about me as a reader


Last week I invited my students to create a colorful page "My reading life." We talked about all the things they could include, all the ways they could design their page - frames, colors, bullets, sizes, symbols, drawings. In my vision the result was Pinterst-worthy. In reality these pages were nothing like that. I think "blah"is the word in English to use. I realized it was my fault entirely because we hadn't spent enough time looking into our reading lives and histories.
After reading Franki's post Still Learning to Read: 100 Things About Me as a Reader Revisited 
I thought of making my own list. 100 seemed a lot. At the same time it seemed simple - list what comes to your mind. Fascinating how the ideas start flowing once you sit down and get started. I was tempted to stop at 42 and then again at 67, I didn't and the ideas kept coming.
Bringing the list to school I was afraid I might startle my kids with the number. I thought I'd read just some of it to them. They insisted on reading the whole. I said I would understand that their lists would be shorter because they haven't lived four decades, none of them have lived even ten years, so their histories are shorter. I was right. Some of them were able to come up with 10 things. I was wrong. Some came up with 20 ideas and one girl wrote 47 ideas. Their lists were not copies of mine. Each had elements that were true to just them.  10 or 100 - the point is not in the number. The reflection matters. Knowing oneself as a reader supports thinking about how we can improve our reading lives. I wish to stretch to new genres and try my hand at writing reviews. 

Here is my list:



100 things about me as a reader           


1.     I love reading (and walking, dancing and taking photos)
2.     I sometimes think I read too much
3.     But then I look at how much others read and I feel I don’t read enough
4.     My summer list/goal consisted of two things – to sleep and read
5.     A student once thought that I had read all the books in our Literature Circle cupboards (I haven’t)
6.     I’d rather read than eat
7.     I got reading glasses two years ago
8.     I like taking a train because then I can read
9.     It is harder to read in a car but I still do it (not when I am driving)
10. I read on plane rides
11. I sometimes read on the beach, but not so much
12. I love days off, when I can make a cup of tea, snuggle on a sofa and read for a long uninterrupted period of a time
13. I read before going to sleep
14. I read mostly in English
15. I try to keep reading in my mother tongue too (Estonian)
16. I sometimes worry that I read so much because it is easier than going out and spending time with people
17. I am so glad that I love reading – I am never bored
18. I was surprised to find out that not everybody likes to read
19. My mom taught me reading with a whole-word method
20. I don’t remember how I learned to read
21. My favorite author for a long time in childhood was Astrid Lindgren
22. I am lucky that I work at the International School – it has introduced me to so many wonderful children books
23. I now like Roald Dahl and Kate DiCamillo
24. Cornelia Funke’s Inkheart is one of my all time favorite children book
25. I love reading out loud to my students
26. I think sometimes children books have more interesting language, themes, characters and ideas than some adult books
27. When I was young, I sometimes visited my aunts. I didn’t have much to do there, so I read
28. I once stayed up until 4:00 am reading.
29. I know two authors personally
30. I know some authors through online community
31. I prefer fiction to non-fiction
32. I struggle with reading poetry and plays
33. I like going to poetry performances
34. The recent biography I liked was about Tove Jansson
35. Jenny Lawson’s Furiously Happy made me laugh out loud and I read parts of it out loud to my family and friends
36. Andrus Kivirähk is an Estonian author who makes me laugh
37. I read several books at the same time
38. War books are painful to read
39. Reading about tough topics reminds me that I shouldn’t complain about meaningless issues
40. Khaleid Hossein’s books are painful and I had to keep time in between reading his books.
41. I reread children books
42. I return to and reread parts of favorite PD books
43. I borrowed a PD book from the school library and found some of my post-its between the pages
44. I usually don’t reread fiction
45. I record what I have read on Goodreads
46. In 2015 I read 70 books, and it didn’t include rereads of children books
47. I have read 65 books this year so far (August, 28)
48. My Goodreads TBR pile has 40 books (I have more books marked TBR on paper and file and I-Pad and Pinterst)
49. I like that Goodreads has reviews, I read both the five and the one star reviews to make up my mind
50. I don’t write reviews – I wish to learn how to do it well
51. I like to see what other people read and get ideas from there
52. My daughter recommends books to me
53. My mom recommends books to me
54. My friends recommend books to me
55. My former students recommend books to me
56. I recommend books to all of them
57. I lend my books to others
58. I sometimes recommend books in a bookstore and in a library
59. I sometimes wonder what it would be like to work in a bookstore or a library
60. My cousin works in a bookstore, she gives me discounts
61. “What are you reading?’ is one of my favorite questions
62. My husband and I seldom read the same books
63. When we children we both read Agatha Christie’s books
64. My husband and I both read Carlos Ruis Zafon’s and Dan Brown’s books
65. When Harry Potter came out, our family took turns reading the fresh edition
66. I sometimes try newspaper recommendations
67. Goodreads and Amazon recommend based on what I have read, I wish they had “You haven’t tried this, yet” section
68. I read both paper and Kindle books
69. I have never read audio-books
70. I like Kindle because I can get books easily (One click) and don’t have to wait until they are published in Estonia
71. Books on Kindle are cheaper than books in the store
72. Kindle is like carrying a library in your bag
73. I prefer paper books when I read in bed
74. Paper books are easier to browse when you are looking for something
75. I like the smell and touch of fresh books
76. I don’t like to shop for groceries or clothes but I love buying books
77. I once went to a bookstore before going to a festive event and had only a tiny purse with me, I still bought some books and asked the bookstore to hold them until the next day
78. I make only temporary virtual credit cards to limit the number of books I buy
79. I borrow books from the library
80. I recommend what books our school librarian could order
81. Our school librarian has allowed me to open the boxes with new books
82. Opening new boxes of books is so exciting
83. I have most of the books from my childhood
84. I have bookshelves in the living room and one bookshelf in my bedroom
85. I sometimes buy books because of the illustrations
86. I once bought 76 used books for my classroom
87. I have many cookbooks
88. I don’t like reading challenges.
89. I joined a reading challenge FB group but have followed the list loosely and posted seldom
90. I have got many new books for my TBR from that FB group
91. I signed up for two virtual book clubs, read the books but never participated in the chats
92. I love that Stenhouse Publishing allows previewing entire books online. 
93. I once won a book from Stenhouse (Assessment in Perspective)
94. It makes me worried that I spent Saturday evening reading one of the PD books Stenhouse had provided for preview
95. I have some books on my shelves that I haven’t read
96. Sometimes I remember how a book made me feel but I don’t remember the characters and the plot straight away
97. I just finished Amy Tan’s Kitchen God’s Wife – I liked it
98. Sometimes I feel overwhelmed by the amount of books, good books, written and published, and not having enough time to read everything I want
99. I have very many bookmarks but sometimes I use receipts or post its instead of going and getting a nice bookmark from my collection
100.                I was called a nerd recently and I felt proud to be called that




14 comments:

  1. I had such fun reading your list and following your links. The Scholastic videos of kids talking about books and their reading are amazing. I'm impressed with how you tried something, were disappointed with the results, analyzed it and then revamped it to turn it into a rewarding, powerful experience for you and your students. That is truly wonderful reflective teaching in action! You've got me so excited to do this with my students! Thank you! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this!!! We are writing about ourselves as readers next week. I am going to make my own list and offer this as an option. Thank you so much for sharing!!! I, too, love Jenny Lawson books!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was thinking 100 things was near impossible for me to try...but then I read your list, and realized how many ways books and reading touch our lives. Tickled that you and I share similar reading likes! I'm going to send this to myself at work as a reminder to try it myself and in the library as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved your list Terje and that you had it as a model for your students... SUCCESS!
    Bonnie K.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your list is wonderful! As I read your list I was trying to remember when was the last time I read a book in Finnish? I couldn't remember. I am now thinking how I could use your list idea with my students this fall.... Thank you for an inspiring post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like reading on my Kindle also because of the immediate gratification. Waiting to get a good book is torture. Great list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that you took an initial disappointment (the student work) and made it into such a positive. I have tried the Things About Me as a Reader before, but never aimed for 100- maybe I will next time. We have many similar things on our lists!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mentoring the project for a 2nd try is wonderful, and I suspect you also learned something about yourself as you made your list, Terje. This will be something to carry along all through the year, won't it? I fit nearly all the 100 things, am a reader through & through, & do wonder how someone can live their life without books.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am impressed that you got to 100! I had also tried doing it in an earlier post on my blog. The power of the reflection is amazing. You are right. The number is not important. The process builds such reader identity. (and thanks to Franki for the inspiration)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a neat idea. I don't know if I could come up with 100. I will have to think on this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I often wonder how people go thru life not having a book near by to pick up for just a moment. Your list is wonderful and I find myself fitting into a lot of your identity. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a list and what a fun activity for students and for us! I think I need to try this. I loved #100! And for someone who doesn't like a reading challenge, you should mastered this one!

    ReplyDelete
  13. No wonder you have such a rich reading life - you read for so many reasons, and all of them matter deeply. I am definitely going to do this with my students next week.

    ReplyDelete
  14. No wonder you have such a rich reading life - you read for so many reasons, and all of them matter deeply. I am definitely going to do this with my students next week.

    ReplyDelete