Pages

Saturday, August 27, 2016

The first week of school

It's challenging to clear the mind after a busy week of school. The first week of school. Five days.  The first day was only two hours with the students. Still it feels mentally and physically as if we have been to school for months.
When I was a child I tended to finish some personal narratives with "I was tired but happy."
I'd like to use the same line now. 
The biggest joy comes from being with the same students as last year and seeing the difference compared to last year's beginning. They are so much more mature, more outspoken, more independent, more creative, more productive, more of everything. Not perfect. Plenty to learn. Still, what a pleasure it has been to be with them.
This has been a week of thinking. Thinking about our lives as stories, thinking what kind of a hero we want to be in our stories, thinking about what kind of a class we wish to be, thinking about how we can be the best selves to achieve our vision, thinking about all the different classroom management possibilities, thinking about our thinking. We shared the thoughts, listened to each other, explained reasoning, looked for alternatives, weighed various options. We created a vision and essential agreements that will guide the year. Trust me, there were moments when my students looked at me with blank faces, brains completely turned off, ready to fall off the chairs. Most of the time, however, the students were active, the neurons were firing fast and rapidly, ideas bouncing and blossoming.
I haven't been able to switch off thinking about school - how best to build on the first week's success, how best meet the varied needs of the students, how to fit everything that needs to be done into the weeks ahead, how to make sure to keep the balance, how to have fun.
The ideas swim and fly, play hide and seek, make cartwheels and somersaults. Lining them up in an orderly fashion seems impossible. I draw and I write them, fit them into boxes and lists, and when I feel I can't think any more I go for a walk.

I celebrate the first week of school.
I am tired but happy.

An acorn that I found when I went for a walk to clear my mind.

7 comments:

  1. Such a lovely line to end your narrative/celebration. "I am tired but happy." My favorite line was this one: "Trust me, there were moments when my students looked at me with blank faces, brains completely turned off, ready to fall off the chairs." I remember moments like that occurring often in the beginning weeks of school. It's an adjustment for everyone. And tough to begin with five days! You deserve to be celebrated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly how you feel. You captured it perfectly with this: "The ideas swim and fly, play hide and seek, make cartwheels and somersaults. Lining them up in an orderly fashion seems impossible." We want so much for our kids. Next week the pieces will start to fall into place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A perfect acorn must symbolize something.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We just finished our second full week with students and both were completely exhausting. But you're right, I'm tired but happy. I love being back. I love the kids and the excitement of a new year even with all the exhaustion that comes with it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These first weeks are so crucial to how the rest of the year will go. And you describe our thoughts so well in somersaults and cartwheels. Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've just described what I think every teacher feels after that first week, Terje. One of my former colleagues shared on FB that he went to bed at 7:30 on Friday night! I love this too: "The ideas swim and fly, play hide and seek, make cartwheels and somersaults." Hope the weekend is renewing, and you're ready for more ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Terje, your ideas are floating in your head because you want to start the year off with positivity and solid relationships. It was a great idea to talk a walk and clear your mind. Early fall signs means that transitions are coming. You will be moving into a solid framework of learning and your ideas will gel because you are a reflective teacher. I decided that your early fall-like photo would be perfect for my autumn gallery in the future. Thanks for always having a great eye for photos.

    ReplyDelete