Pages

Friday, March 18, 2016

a teacher mistake

Day 18 of March Slice of Life Story Challenge

Writing conference gone wrong. All I wished was for A. to consider her audience and revise a bit of the story ending. From my point of view a dad killing his daughter and stuffing her into a doll is inappropriate for third grade readers. When A. heard my suggestion to change the ending, a shadow crossed her face, eyes darkened, mouth tightened, she threw her draft on the floor and stormed out of the classroom
I peek out of the door and see her sitting, hands crossed on her chest, on the couch in the hallway next to the classroom door. Checking that the other students either draw illustrations or revise their drafts on I-pads, I slide out of the classroom and sit next to A.
"I am not going to change my story. I like it. You don't like my story," A. announces crossly.
"It's not about whether I like or don't like your story. It has great characters, you speak to your reader, use active verbs. What I am saying is that the violence is not appropriate for children, especially when we plan to publish the story and share with the first graders," I explain.
"Then I am not publishing. I don't care. I like my story and I won't change it," A. turns away from me, indicating that she has finished talking or listening to me.

I leave her be. No point in pressuring a child who is upset. I know that no matter what I say or how I say falls to closed ears.
This incident is followed by A. trying to avoid going to French, ignoring her classmates during the break, walking past me with turning her head away. I feel asking her to change her story is the right thing to do, but I also know I made a mistake, a fundamental mistake in giving her the feedback. Maybe I can still fix the situation.

During the break she plays with a fourth grade girl, and later sits with her during the lunch. I can see how A. is melting slowly.
When the kids line up to go to PE, I ask A. whether she is feeling better.
She nods.

After PE, when others are settled comfortably to reading, I invite A. to the couch again.
"First of all I wish to apologize. I made a mistake. I should have started with what was great in your story. I started with what to change, and as soon as you heard it, your brain closed tightly, and you didn't hear anything else I said. May I, please, start over?" I say and wait.
A. visibly softens and with a high girlish voice says, "Ok."
"First of all you have written more than ever before, you have unique characters, You describe them with interesting detail like the crack in the doll's head, you use dialogue with verbs like scream and whisper, and you speak to your reader. Like Kate DiCamillo in our read aloud The Tale of Despereaux," I list her strengths as a writer.
'I was inspired by her," A. smiles.
I lift five fingers, "Can you see how many good things are in your writing? The only thing that worries me is the ending. You can keep it and when you are older you can publish it as it is now, but, maybe this time you can find a different way to achieve your result, maybe a witch uses some magic or a spell."
"Nah. I already now what I can write. I have a really good idea," A. says, stands from the couch, walks to the classroom, gets her I-Pad and writes.


Always start with the positive - a basic rule of a conference, yet I completely forgot it. It may have been because of being tired, or maybe because I thought that yesterday's positive comments counted today too. I am glad that I was able to open the conversation and make up my mistake.

15 comments:

  1. I think I would have made the same mistake, given the shocking ending she wrote. In these days when kids watch so much violence on TV, I think it is important that they keep their audience in mind. Clearly, she got wrapped up in the story, a good story by the sounds of it, but forgot her audience was first graders. I think you handled your mistake well. It's good for kids to see adults make mistakes and how they fix them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is powerful to reflect on our teaching. Kudos to you and thanks for inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lesson for both of you! An author does ALWAYS need to remember their audience, and she has a great story for a different audience. I am glad that things worked out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Conferring is hard, knowing just the right thing to say may slip our mind until later. I think you handled this in a great way. I would be interested to know how she changed her story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great inspiring story! You could have realized that you forgot and just gone on with your day, but you seized the first available and reasonable opportunity to "fix" it. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great slice. Its so important to start with a positive but sometimes so easy to forget. Glad it all worked out

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great slice. Its so important to start with a positive but sometimes so easy to forget. Glad it all worked out

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm in awe of you being able to turn this around, Terje. it speaks to the wonderful relationships you have with your students and your willingness to reflect on your practice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow...you had to work real teacher magic to turn this one around. Bravo to you for being able to do so, Terje!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow...you had to work real teacher magic to turn this one around. Bravo to you for being able to do so, Terje!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a must read post!!! So easy to fall into this trap -- we all do! I love your reflection and how you were honest with her about your growth and her growth. Really powerful teaching moment, reflection and post. Thank you.
    Clare

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great reflection! Conferring with children can be tricky sometimes! You certainly turned this one around. Your post is such a good reminder for all of us. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What I like the most about this post, is how you went back and apologized. I am sure A will remember that moment forever. Students need to see us as mistake makers. And you handled it beautifully. Sounds like she wrote a very interesting story!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bravo teacher! You were determined to make it right and wow did you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. We do forget lots of things Terje, but the best thing is that you figured it out, made amends, and both you and this student learned something. Wise teacher, and thoughtful student. Although angry, she did "hear" you & evidently was already revising. You gave her a nice opening for change.

    ReplyDelete