Read more slices at Two Writing Teachers
What kind of writer are you?
Nobody ever asked me this question when I was a child.
My third graders are faced with this question when they write reflections for the portfolios.
They have no problems coming up with the answers.
" I am a quick and nonfiction writer. I write at home and at school, on I-pad and paper. I like to write about me. When I write, I feel happy because I like writing."
"I am a happy writer. I write behind my desk. I write after school. I have written some stories when I was friend with Dora. I like to write funny stories .I feel that writing is good and cool."
"If you are a lazy writer like me then you don't bother writing it again you just revise it by reading it again and thinking how can I make this better".
"I am a creative writer. I write at school and I once wrote a book in second grade and third grade. I've written a pirate story. And a old man story. I feel awesome about writing."
"I write all the time when I am bored. I write on paper to be not bored. but I not all the time write in my life. I-Pad is better than writing. I have writing stories with my friends. And I write things random.
I feel when I write like I am a writing a story for myself so I can read it to myself so I feel like an author."
Nobody ever asked me this question when I was a child.
My third graders are faced with this question when they write reflections for the portfolios.
They have no problems coming up with the answers.
" I am a quick and nonfiction writer. I write at home and at school, on I-pad and paper. I like to write about me. When I write, I feel happy because I like writing."
"I am a happy writer. I write behind my desk. I write after school. I have written some stories when I was friend with Dora. I like to write funny stories .I feel that writing is good and cool."
"If you are a lazy writer like me then you don't bother writing it again you just revise it by reading it again and thinking how can I make this better".
"I am a creative writer. I write at school and I once wrote a book in second grade and third grade. I've written a pirate story. And a old man story. I feel awesome about writing."
"I write all the time when I am bored. I write on paper to be not bored. but I not all the time write in my life. I-Pad is better than writing. I have writing stories with my friends. And I write things random.
I feel when I write like I am a writing a story for myself so I can read it to myself so I feel like an author."
What kind of writer are you?
The answer to this question morphs with time, takes on different colors depending on the mood and light, reflects reality to a degree but is never objective.
Thinking of who I am today I can answer:
I am the kind of writer who likes to compose in the head before writing. Sometimes the ideas start growing from a word, a phrase, an image. During driving or walking my mind writes, rereads and revises. I try to catch my mental ideas as soon as possible, but sometime the beautifully composed pieces disappear.
I am the kind of writer who sometimes doesn't have a clear idea of what I wish to say and I write to figure out what I am thinking, feeling or understanding. I let the words pour out. My journal is filled with ramblings that don't necessarily make any sense to anyone else but me.
I am the kind of writer who is still exploring, experimenting, and playing. I don't have a big dream or a clear purpose, a noble mission or a significant message. I write for myself mostly. I still find it surprising, yet very pleasing, that my words stir emotions and thoughts in my blog readers.
I am the kind of writer who enjoys witty use of words, and aims toward that, but I find it so much easier to write in simple clear words. It takes me effort to spin the words around an idea to build text volume, or to search for the extraordinary words. That's why descriptions and poetry challenge me.
I am the kind of writer who is stronger in theory than practice. I know about the importance of routine, using a journal daily, making time for writing, yet, I admit, it doesn't happen. I admiringly notice craft moves of different authors, yet, quite often I return to what is safe and known to me.
I am the kind of writer who is still afraid to share with my friends and colleagues that I blog. Five years of writing, yet still a secret blogger. Not sure how to explain that.
I am the kind of writer who enjoys writing even when faced with challenges and doubt. Writing is my free choice not a job, a task, an assignment. The only deadlines and expectations I meet are the ones I have given myself. I always have the right to stop writing. I choose to continue.
I wonder:
What kind of writer are you?

Good question but not ever an easy one. 70+ years on and I am still thinking about that one ~ it depends. Purpose, audience, mood, content ~ what's been on my mind, come up in recent conversations or that I have researching/reading about.
ReplyDeleteLove this! Though as a child I would have really hated it! They didn't really teach us how to be writers then--just how to write. I may just have to write a post on this . . .
ReplyDeleteI don't know that anyone has ever asked me that question. I don't know that I even considered what kind of writer I am. I guess I could say that most of what I write tends to be light and not heave or philosophical. I am going to have to think on this some more.
ReplyDeleteYou pose an interesting question. I think you are an amazing writer and you should reveal your secret to close family and friends. What about your students, do they know that you are a blogger? They should. Slowly I allow people to know that I write a blog. I've been looking back over my posts this month and discovered that my topics mostly relate to what is in my immediate world at home. I guess I am an anecdote writer of discoveries around me.
ReplyDeleteWhat an interesting question to pose - first to your students but also to yourself. Your answers were very informative and I kept nodding in agreement as I read them. I must do this as well.
ReplyDeleteWhat an interesting question to pose - first to your students but also to yourself. Your answers were very informative and I kept nodding in agreement as I read them. I must do this as well.
ReplyDeleteWhat a great question--I think this will be a good one to pose for myself after this month of daily slices, but I found myself thinking a lot about it as I read your response. I love that your students can be this reflective about themselves as writers too.
ReplyDeleteI know what you mean about not sharing with family and friends. I actually began sharing, but my family and friends do not read what I write. I think two local friends check out what I've written, and my husband is a loyal fan. When you have to keep telling someone how to get to your blog, it doesn't seem like it is worth it. Feels like you are harassing them into reading!
ReplyDeleteBut you should try telling your family and friends. Maybe you will have better luck than I! I know many bloggers who have some family and friend followers! I think they'd love your blog!
Your students seem to have such a positive outlook on writing. I honestly don't remember writing much in my elementary years. It wasn't until junior high that I remember - that doesn't mean I didn't write, it just means it was a long time ago! I love the idea of no expectations except my own.
ReplyDeleteI think that I will ask my students this question, Terje. I am interested to see what they believe about themselves as writers. I wish I'd asked before the SOLC, then after our break next week when it's finished. I love that you acknowledged that writing was not a job, but your free choice. It makes it better to me, somehow. I also enjoyed seeing what your students wrote, very fun to read.
ReplyDeleteI LOVE this question. I was inclined to answer it hours ago when I read this post and then I decided to ponder it some more. Now that I'm ready to comment, I'm still not sure I want to pigeon-hole myself into an answer. I will have to think about this longer. It's definitely worthy of exploring.
ReplyDeleteWhat a fun assignment! This is great to do before a student led conference too.
ReplyDeleteI know that I prefer to write non-fiction pieces that I feel might be helpful to others. I never felt comfortable writing fiction.
-Amanda at http://teachingwanderlust.com/2015/03/24/getting-excited-about-poetry-sol24/
One line in particular completely resonated with me. It was where you say "I am the kind of writer who is still afraid to share with my friends and colleagues that I blog. Five years of writing, yet still a secret blogger. Not sure how to explain that."
ReplyDeleteI'm feel the exact same way. We have a big professional development day coming up where teachers will be encouraged to join Twitter and I cringe at the "follows" because I feel I'll be reluctant to share my blog posts. For some reason, I don't want my inner thoughts out there for my co-workers to see.
Wow. That is a hard question to answer and one that I will shy away from because it's so difficult to put into words! :) But you did a phenomenal job answering that question. I could easily relate to so much of what you stated.
ReplyDeleteOh man, this is a thought provoker for sure. I have a one word answer and then a long long answer it will take me a while to compost. I think the kind of writer I am is a RE-writer. I just keep re-writing it until it sounds good to me. It takes a long time.
ReplyDeleteTerje, your students' responses to this question show that you have created an classroom where writing is valued. I love the honesty or their responses, and yours as well. I think we may be reluctant to share our writing with those closest to us out of fear. Fear that they'll think it's bad, or judge us in a negative way. This is a powerful question, one that I'll be thinking about in the days to come. Thanks for posing it today.
ReplyDeleteI have never answered that question. I find myself in a lot of what you say. I have to write to know what I want to say. That's why slicing can take so long for me. Thank you for this. I must try.
ReplyDelete