Join the March Slice of Life Story Challenge at Two Writing Teachers.
Led by a Game Architect twenty eight Dutch and eighteen Estonian educators formed a double circle. Partners facing each other greeted and got ready to play "Russian Roulette" - a weaponless and healthy fun getting-to-know-game. People in the inner circle put their left hand on their neighbor's shoulder and then stepped five steps to the left to face a new person. A question was fired to a big screen. We played several rounds changing the number of steps and getting new questions. The questions caught us by a surprise and the time to think was short.
I thought this might be an interesting game to play on the first day of SOLSC. You don't have to worry about leaving a perfect shiny impression. Lets just have fun. In the comments you can choose to answer one, some or all of the questions, or you can use this as an idea for a future post.
(If you don't want to play you can meet me at the About Me page)
If you had a magic wand what would you wish for? Three wishes
I would wish for health, wisdom and love.
But I'd rather not use a magic wand. You know, in fairy tales all magic comes with a price.
If you think of it, we don't need wands or spells, life is magical in itself.
What animal would best represent you?
I would be a short, dancing and tea-drinking giraffe.
If you got billion euros, how would you spend it?
I would invest in my children's education, give some to charity and use some to explore the world.
On a second thought, maybe I would use some for creating a small library to explore the world and go on adventure without leaving my home.
I wouldn't quit my job but maybe take some time off to learn.
I wouldn't buy a new house but maybe renovate the current apartment.
Tell me about your best friend.
My sister is my best friend. We don't judge each other, we can be in each others company without doing anything and we both healthily laugh at ourselves.
If you could meet three famous persons, who would you like to meet?
This is the toughest question. The first two who came to mind were Kate DiCamillo and Malala.
Share your favorite recipe.
Pancakes. My granny made them, my mom makes them, I make them and now my daughters make them. Last year I introduced myself for SOLSC 2014 as a pancake book.
What did you want to become in the childhood?
Until third grade I wanted to be a ballerina. Then I decided to become a teacher. I made this dream come true. I love to live it.
One game, one post, one day is not enough to get to know each other. One month may already reveal more.
Are you ready for the Slice of Life Story Challenge? I didn't make any special preparations this year, not even a list of possible topics. I'll approach it with an experimental what-if-attitude and see what surprises the days hold and where writing takes me. Most of all I look forward to reading various stories.
Happy writing!


Thank you for the idea! I think it's going to help me get started! I'm a little stumped already. :0)
ReplyDeleteEnjoyed reading your answers!
Ok -- I'm game (!)
ReplyDeleteKevin
What did you want to become in the childhood?
I wanted to be a musician, even though I knew even then that I did not the temperament to sit and practice for long hours at a time and knew the world is overflowing with incredibly skilled musicians, there was something about playing and making music that connected deeply with me. I still play and make music, write songs (https://soundcloud.com/dogtrax/i-fall-apart-like-stars-in-the-night), so maybe the dream is still there, alive and kicking.
If you had a magic wand what would you wish for? Three wishes.
1. End poverty in the world.
2. My children grow up to be happy and secure and thrive in their lives.
3. A new (and expensive) tenor saxophone (my self-centered wish.)
:)
Thanks for inviting us in ...
I haven't made a list either, but it will work out. (Remind me I said that in the middle of the month!) A game?!?!? YES!!!! (I may borrow this idea for later on. LOVE it!!!) If you had a magic wand what would you wish for? Three wishes.
ReplyDelete1. No more testing!!!
2. Beautiful, warm, inviting schools for EVERY child in this world
3. For all children to be SEEN and LOVED
If you could meet three famous persons, who would you like to meet?
Anne Lamott!! Yup. That's enough. I want to meet her and talk with her and listen to hear and learn from her!!!
FUN!!!! Thanks for inviting me to play a game. I loved learning more about you too!!!!
I love this interactive slice!
ReplyDelete1. I'm in agreement with you about the magic wand. Those things are always more trouble than they're worth! :)
2. The animal question always stumps me. Because of a photo project I just started yesterday, however, today I'm going to say that I'd be Baby Cheetah. She's thoughtful and gently snarky and has a lot to say.
3. A billion euros, eh? Well, first would be to ensure my family's stability -- money in the bank for my niece and nephew's college education and adulthood start-up, pay off my mother's mortgage, buy my sister an apartment, that kind of thing. Some would definitely go to some of my favorite organizations and my public radio station. Then ... travel, study, buy a little piece of land and start realizing my tiny-house fantasy. Like you, I'd keep my job. I've only been there 4 months, and I'm really enjoying it. Much too soon to leave!
4. We have the same best friend! I feel very lucky to have my sister as my best friend. No one understands me the way she does. We have the same "off" sense of humor and can talk for hours and hours. I adore her.
5. Do these have to be still-with-us famous people? Because my first list is topped by folks who've passed. I'd love a long sit-down with Octavia Butler, and Lucille Clifton. I'd also like a "do over" conversation with James Baldwin to make up for the #fail from when I was 20. :)
6.This one is surprisingly hard. For the last 18 months I've been a vegetarian and while I don't miss meat at all, I do miss some of my favorite recipes. And I haven't replaced them with new favorites yet, or figured out how to make them vegetarian. So, still in progress.
7. I so wanted to be a go-go dancer when I was 6! I loved those cheesy white boots and the fringey dresses!
Happy slicing!
Stacie
Three things: I want my husband to have a job, I want my book to get published, and I want to teach first grade next year.
ReplyDeleteThree people: Maya Angelou, Gloria Steinem, and Kevin Henkes. They've all transformed my thinking at one time or another.
I'm looking forward to learning more about you too!
Ooh - those pancakes look scrumptious. Somehow, I knew you'd have dancing in your list of get to know me's! My three wishes:
ReplyDeletePeace in the world.
Peace for our children.
Peace.
I have a slice very similar to this ready to post on one of those days where writing is hard! Great minds think alike! :) These are tough questions.
ReplyDeleteBest friends - husband and sister
Money - help my children become financially secure so they do what they love and not worry; start a literacy foundation that creates literacy experiences for all people no matter their age, economic status or ability.
The rest I will have to ponder. What a great start to a month of writing.
What a wonderful game you played with that group, Terje, a real ice-breaker. If I had a billion Euros I would give it all to children who are living in poverty, and hope that they then would be ok. Thanks for the ideas...
ReplyDeleteI was thinking of my favorite recipe, but then I saw Michelle's comment. Today my 3 wishes are: NO more testing, more time to teach ELLs and less paperwork for teachers. Recipe and personal wishes might come later this month. Great idea Terje!
ReplyDeleteLove this, Terje! What did I want to be as a child---always a teacher. Although I flirted with other careers, in my soul it was always teaching.
ReplyDeleteLooking forward to 31 days! See you tomorrow.
I love this game. So many questions. And I'm not completely surprised with your answers. I guess I've gotten to know you a bit!
ReplyDeleteLove the responses you got. I'll answer one question today:
As a kid, I wanted to be a teacher. It took me awhile to get there, but dreams do come true.
Great game. Since my mind seems to be fixated on food I will go with a favorite recipe...pineapple cake with cream cheese frosting. Quick, simple to make, always a crowd pleaser.
ReplyDeleteI feel that I've gotten to know you over the past 3 years, but enjoy learning more.
ReplyDeleteMy three wishes (sans the magic wand): peace, hope and love
I don't have a favorite recipe - hubby does all the cooking and he changes his recipe each time - they are all GOOD!
Such a good idea! I borrowed one of your questions for my own first day writing.
ReplyDeleteI think a cat, large or small, would represent me. Naps, sun bathing, and adventuring! What a life!
As a child I wanted be a teacher... or a power ranger. When I found out I couldn't be a power ranger, and after some realization as to what a teacher's life is like (early mornings, late nights, work at work, work at home, work on weekends, not getting paid for any of it), I thought I might be a physical therapist or an engineer. I am now a teacher/coach with even earlier days and longer nights. I wouldn't wish for anything else!
What a fun idea!
ReplyDeleteI, too, identify with the giraffe as the animal I would be. Giraffes especially remind me of myself as a teenager - overly tall and gangly, awkward, different from all the other animals in the kingdom. Now I like giraffes because of their kind eyes and the way they reach for what they want. And God equips them to reach for it.
How fun!!! I think I'll play... I love giraffes as well - there is something other-wordly about them. Glad to be back. Hope to share with you a lot this year!
ReplyDeleteI already knew so much about you, but I learned even more today. Great idea! I love that you are joining in again this month and that you are going in with a "what-if" attitude! That can be fun!!
ReplyDeleteJust for a month?
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you keep collecting words. I'm glad you're writing this month. I'm glad I get to read your slices.
You are my favorite short, dancing and tea-drinking giraffe.
Cheers,
Ruth
Very cool! You seem like the kind of person I want to get to know! I'm saving your questions and will respond via a blog post soon. This is my first year of the SOLSC! Thanks for your great idea.
ReplyDeleteLOVE THIS IDEA, TERJE! We may have to launch with this next year! (And, of course, tip our hats to you! In fact, I'm going to send this link to my future self using futureme right after I leave this comment.)
ReplyDeleteThanks for helping us get to know YOU better!
You asked: What did you want to become in the childhood?
I wanted to be a writer and a journalist. I achieved one of those things, but not the second. I stuck with journalism for a long time. Three classes into my journalism major in college I decided it wasn't for me. My Reporting professor asked us to do a whole bunch of investigative types of things, including finding a way into the university president's office to report on how plush the carpet was. It was right then and there I knew I didn't have the chops to be a reporter since I feared getting in trouble for breaking and entering.
Can't wait to get home and answer your "get to know you" questions. Love how forgiving one can be to a giraffe.
ReplyDeleteI think it was around gr. 3 that I too decided I would be a teacher when I grews up. And I did! Lovely post.
ReplyDelete