
Ruth Ayres invites people to share a celebration every Saturday. Thinking back to a week you can pick anything - small or big - to celebrate. Thank you for the invitation, Ruth!
A full week of scheduled-planned-expected combined with unplanned-surprising-unexpected events and situations seems like a month. I had a week like that. A positive exhausting week. My head is looking for a way to organize and categorize what happened, and find meaning and lessons to take away. My heart just sings and dances, "Not everything needs to be sorted and analyzed or labeled. Enjoy and celebrate."
I celebrate:
A full week of school
After many weeks we finally had a full school week uninterrupted by special events, conferences, holidays or field trips. Most things were planned: a third visit by a middle school science teacher to help the students to learn about simple machines, starting an inquiry unit about sustainability, reading and discussing "Love That Dog" (one of my favorite books), exploring fractions, literature circles, our school principal subbing for me and talking to kids about her life as a poet. Out of it grew a surprise poetry contest.
Full evenings
Monday's gym lesson and Tuesday's meeting were planned.
On Wednesday I got my first surprise. My neighbor invited me for a walk, two other women joined. Chatting with them is always a pleasure. One was a director of a kindergarten where Mimm used to go. We are both on the local school board. The second woman is an elementary school teacher, who taught my middle one for three years. Both of them have visited my school and the teacher participated in the Reading Nest workshop last week. Recently they and few other active community members had created a group called "Reading Bacillus." They would like to figure out how to show to the local school and parents that there are many different ways to support and assess readers. I was honored when they invited me to join the group. I live in a small community where many people have lived for generations, they have attended the local school, and work here. I have lived here a bit more than 13 years but work in town 35 km away. I am glad that I am considered as part of the community.
On Thursday the school held a Mother's Day concert. Mimm sang in a choir and danced with her dance group. So many talented children performed - solo singing, choir, band, national dances, modern dances, poetry. The concert was fabulous.
On Friday I had a meeting I found out about on Wednesday. A bit of background. My friend and I are part of Estonian Reading Association. We give workshops on how to create reading nests (corners) in schools and kindergartens. Recently we have added overview of how we teach reading in our school. This year we have had several surprising requests. First one was to give a workshop at a conference, then have teachers visit our school. Last invitation was to join an international project to support parents of children with dyslexia. Ten people from Estonia, and other people from Latvia, Czech, and Italy are part of this European Grundtvig Project. My friend and I were both hesitant to join at first, we felt our plates were full, but then we thought what a great learning opportunity it would be. Besides this year we can simply listen. Next year will be more work. Next week we will have a gathering and a small conference in Riga. Yesterday's meeting instructed and informed us. You can imagine that on Fridays after school the greatest wish usually is to crawl to bed. Walking in to the Tallinn University, where the meeting was, we found a band and a choir singing and we were cheered up. Whatever the event was, when we left, we heard the wife of our prime minister sang. In Estonia she has so far been more famous than her husband. She became second in Estonian version of Idol in 2007. I love these bizarre moments.
Full pockets of time
I read and wrote. I talked with my family and friends. I planned and assessed. I hugged.
Full Weekend
Today will be busy - planned with household and school work
Tomorrow will be Mother's Day - I'll call my mom. I look forward to surprises from my daughters.
Celebrate!

Oh Terje, your week was indeed very full! I love hearing about how your professional life is growing, and now into a group that includes neighboring countries too. Indeed it will be busy, but what connections you and your colleague will make! It seems to me you should write more about those 'reading nests'. I would love to hear about them. I also love hearing about the concert with Mimm. That's the special thing of the week! Happy Mother's Day!
ReplyDeleteWhat a busy week! And it's fantastic that you get to present at these great conferences and workshops. I always enjoy the workshops that teachers present - they are the ones that are aligned with not only best practices but also grounded in real teaching!
ReplyDeleteCelebrations fill your week! You are a force for literacy and now others are recognizing this. Way to go! Have a wonderful day celebrating with your daughters.
ReplyDeleteWow! Such a joy-filled week!! I love, "I read and wrote. I talked with my family and friends. I planned and assessed. I hugged." This made me smile!!! Gorgeous flowers too! Happy Mother's Day to you!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteWhat a busy week! Like Linda, I want to hear more about the reading nests. Thanks for the lovely pictures. Enjoy your weekend and slow down.
ReplyDeleteA full and joyous week, Terje! Enjoy your Mother's Day tomorrow.
ReplyDeleteIt is inspiring to hear of all you are doing and the changes you are making in people's lives. You definitely make a difference. Those bright orange flowers say it all...Celebrate!
ReplyDeleteInteresting to hear about your connection with Estonia Reading Association. And speaking of reading, Love That Dog has to be one of the very best books. Love the images....they make me smile.
ReplyDeleteEverything you share about your community sounds so inviting and good for students: nurturing readers and writers. Thank you for pulling together all of the wonderful things going on in your world. And enjoy your Mother's Day celebration.
ReplyDeleteWeeks that are full of satisfying experiences are the best.
ReplyDeleteFull weeks can be grand. Love the flowers. Hope you have a terrific week ahead.
ReplyDeleteI love the term "reading nests" Just sounds so cozy and perfect for little readers. You obviously have so much to share with other educators. A lovely week.
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful week of the planned and unplanned! Thank you for sharing what made you sing and dance!
ReplyDeleteFull moments create a full life! I'm glad you had many things to celebrate!
ReplyDelete