Two weeks ago I participated in my first #pypchat on Twitter. Today, before the second #pypchat, I felt more prepared. I had read the questions concerning Professional Development. I had my answers ready, at least some. I knew that I could tweet, reply, retweet or favorite something. I had even figured out that I would have to write A3 or A6 for the answers. Experienced chatters probably chuckle, but no kidding, last time I kept writing Q3 and Q6 when I answered.
When the chat started, I felt it was at right pace, I read what people said, and added my answers. Then suddenly the tweets started scrolling in, different answers, retweets and replies to different people all mixed up, and I had no idea what was going on. I tried to imagine what this kind of chatting would be in real life. A room full of people, one asks a question, people start answering at the same time. You may hear some answers, miss some others, reply to someone, overhear some replies, not knowing what was said before, another question coming, new answers mixed with answers to previous questions, new people enter the room, answering questions, some people leave. A bit scary.
I certainly want to learn more about Twitter chatting. Right now it still remains a puzzle to me, what exactly is going on. Do these people know each other previously or is the chatting group formed on spot? Should I blog on the topic before I chat or can I just join? When I tweet, am I chatting or am I speaking to myself? Did I do it right? Is there right and wrong?
Even if I do not completely get the chatting idea yet, I could feel the energy and excitement of the #pypchat. Everyone was thinking along and will continue thinking about the questions later. I discovered some people and blogs to follow. Resources are posted on the #pypchat wikispaces. My book list got longer. Ruth's Celebrating Writers was also included in the resource list, because I recommended it. :)
It's a mystery to me too!
ReplyDeleteIt gets easier, I think, Terje. Truth to tell, though, I think in long sentences, so the format feels artificial - and it moves so quickly. Bravo to you for sticking with it!
ReplyDeleteI find chatting on Twitter a bit overwhelming too! I loved your real life scenario -- if we were all in a room and Q1 was asked and everyone answered A1 ... I think for me I want to read and see everything, but you can only pick up so much, especially if you are responding to another tweet. All your questions are right on, but the beauty of it all is that the archives are posted. You can go back on your own time and review, then you can also follow up with anyone with a response or question! No hunting down who said what. It's all there. Plus the bonus is new people to follow and blogs to read and learn! I think you have mastered this twitter chat thing. :)
ReplyDeleteI suspect everyone is overwhelmed, & I find it's like being in a room where most are talking, replying to someone, but it's not clear who. Sounds as if you held your own and added to the conversation!
ReplyDelete