Come and read slices at Two Writing Teachers
"Bring your journals and lets share the slices," I invite my students to gather on a carpet.
Even though it has been in our Wednesday routine for many months, some students still look genuinely surprised that they were supposed to write. Instructions were written on their Homework sheet, I reminded them the day before.
Sheepishly they come, knowing exactly what I would say, but instead I frown and shake my head in disbelief and disappointment. When will they take charge of their work?
Other students excitedly wait, legs crisscrossed, journals open on their lap. T. (8) is hugging her pink journal tight. This time it's my turn to share first.
"Is it about Mimm?" V. guesses.
"Not this time?" I reply.
"Then it's about reading," V is convinced, and immediately offers an explanation "Because you usually share about your daughter or reading."
He is right. I share my slice about Literature Circle discussion.
Now it's T's turn.
She opens her journal but still holds it close. I can see that she has two words written with a blue marker on top of the page and the rest seems empty. A suspicion rises in me. Should I ask her to show the journal or let her go on. If you don't know what to do, don't do anything. I hold my tongue.
T. starts slowly, sharing how much she cares about her hamster, what she would do if something happened to her. She looks closer at a page, as if not able to read her handwriting, and continues with a relaxed and confident voice. I know the page is empty, except for the two blue words. I don't interrupt her. Her words are engaging, and secretly I admire that she is able to come up with them on spot.
When she finishes, I turn to her, "You chose your words well. You can write this a blog post later."
When others have shared their slices, I give students some time to browse their journals and choose what to write on the blog. T. starts typing fast.
Only later I go over to her and ask quietly, "Tell me honestly, did you have your slice written at home?"
T. shyly looks at the floor and shakes her head.
"You should know that I knew it before you started telling your slice, but I didn't want to interrupt you. You pretended well, and now you have the slice on your blog, but please, please, don't lie again, and please, please, get your homework done on time, " I whisper to her.
She nods.
I smile and nod back.
When she finishes, I turn to her, "You chose your words well. You can write this a blog post later."
When others have shared their slices, I give students some time to browse their journals and choose what to write on the blog. T. starts typing fast.
Only later I go over to her and ask quietly, "Tell me honestly, did you have your slice written at home?"
T. shyly looks at the floor and shakes her head.
"You should know that I knew it before you started telling your slice, but I didn't want to interrupt you. You pretended well, and now you have the slice on your blog, but please, please, don't lie again, and please, please, get your homework done on time, " I whisper to her.
She nods.
I smile and nod back.

Grace for the day, and now you sit back and wait to see if she rises to the expectation next time. A good reminder to bring grace into my correction more often.
ReplyDeleteA gentle hand is always best. Now T. has the confidence she needed to write again.
ReplyDeleteI love the way you treated your student with honor and respect. What we put out comes back to us.
ReplyDeleteWow, you could have gone either way on this one. Good on you for showing her the kindness you did. We never know what they endure at home or why they didn't do their homework but you know she loves to write and share. Great slice.
ReplyDeleteSo glad you waited and then talked to her later. I hope she blossoms now!
ReplyDeleteShe saved face, you clearly outlined your expectations. It will be interesting to see what happens. I could have never pulled off the "imaginary" slice. That takes some skill.
ReplyDeleteYou did good! Getting kids to write at home is a challenge. I love the way you let her tell her story which was "writing in the air" as they say at Teachers College. She did write just not when she was suppose to. The lie is the bigger thing here. You let her know that though and let her save face. Great move, great slice.
ReplyDeleteYou handled the situation with grace and humility. Hey, if you can say it, you can write it! T. had her chance to say it and now she is writing it. I'm so glad you chatted with her later by herself. Quite impressive that she was able to come up with that elaborative story on the spot! Perhaps an actress in the making too! I think she will remember that conversation.
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful way to handle the situation. You got your point across and she was not embarrassed in front of her peers!
ReplyDeleteIt was a nice thing you did, Terje, to save the embarrassment, & maybe now knowing you 'knew', she will not do it again.
ReplyDeleteWhat a perfect way to handle the situation. You let your student know that you knew her work wasn't finished, but she wasn't embarrassed by having it pointed out to the entire class. I'm sure this has made a lasting impression on her.
ReplyDeleteWell played, Terje - you taught her an important lesson in the most gentle, loving way.
ReplyDeleteYou are a teacher who thinks with her heart not just her mind!
ReplyDeleteI swear that you and I are always just a thought apart! Grace came into my slice today, too! :) Love this simple, respectful, but oh-so-important moment you had with a young one!
ReplyDeleteSo gentle.
ReplyDelete