Hear our stories. Get writing inspiration. Read SOL posts at Two Writing Teachers blog.
Show four different models for 4x5
Explain different mental computation strategies for 8x6
Solve the following problems: 3 x 23, 4 x 13, 5 x 47, 3 x 154
Pencils, colored pencils, square paper, rulers, erasers are necessary tools for getting started.
I sit back, knowing that some time will pass before anyone asks for help or clarification. I am fairly confident that majority of the students will show what they have learned. I let my eyes wander and mind wonder.
If M gets any closer to the paper, he will touch it with his nose.
I wonder if T hears Math tunes in his head, he keeps rocking himself rhythmically.
V places the ruler carefully on the paper and slowly draws a line. I bet she would rather draw squiggles and zig-zags with personalities.
Is it warm outside? The sunshine promises warmth but the swinging birch branches warn of wind.
I wonder whose job it is to wash school windows? Should I do it?
"Ms. Terje, G. is sitting on a couch and reading instead of doing Math," Z has seen necessary to come and inform me.
Indeed. G is sitting on a couch flipping through "Bad Kitty Gets a Bath."
My heart swells with hope. Yes, you read it right - hope.
G. a student who worries me, gives me headaches, makes me doubt in my abilities to reach and help him, puts me on the verge of loosing hope. Learning difficulties, behavior difficulties, attention difficulty, self esteem challenges, attitude issues, motivation issues, language issues, very low reading ability, - everything seems to be combined in this boy.
Yet, now, seeing him sitting on a couch and flipping a book, I have hope.
"Thank you for letting me know," I tell Z, "G. made a good choice this time. Let him be there. You can go back to your work."
G. made the best choice possible. When he saw that the math had become a challenge for him, then instead of the expected disruptive behavior, he followed advice from the white board:
"If not sure what to do - go read."
There's hope.
I won't give up.

There is hope. Just think of the changes you've seen in this boy from the first of the year. Great option, go read. Isn't it fun to sit back and observe students engaged?
ReplyDeleteWonderful. I love the advice on the white board. And how great that your student followed it.
ReplyDeleteLoved getting another glimpse into your classroom.
ReplyDeleteG is blessed to have you as his teacher.
There is always hope as your post shows. Congratulations on reaching this student. He made the right choice.
ReplyDelete"If not sure what to do - go read."
ReplyDeleteAwesome. G. has learned so much from you - about coping, about the joy of reading as a way to calm down. Well done!
I absolutely loved this. Tears spring to my eyes at the right choice G made! Thank you for sharing, and for being the kind of teacher who provides "Good Choices"
ReplyDeletewww.parentingandpedagogy.blogspot.com
Terje, what a great story! We all know a boy like G. and this was such a great choice for him today! Such a little celebration -- and as Tara said, you have shared a great strategy of coping through the joy of reading!
ReplyDeleteLove your sign! Good things are happening with G!
ReplyDelete