Have you read Elephant and Piggie book "We Are in a Book"? The Elephant panics when he finds out that the book is going to end, because he has more to give, more words, more jokes. He just wants to be read.
I feel a bit like The Elephant today. The month of slicing is almost over and I feel that I have more to give. I know I will be here sharing slices on Tuesdays and celebrating on Saturdays, yet it feels a bit sad that March will end on Monday.
Sometimes I think that some joyful moments shouldn't be shared at all. Not writing the memories down or not taking pictures of them gives the memories a different glow. At the same time, writing and taking pictures helps to make the links to the memories in the brain stronger.
A list works as a memory anchor, allows to give a glimpse of life and collect ideas for future writing. Thinking of this week, I collected many slices and many reasons to celebrate in my journal. I will share some.
The BIG event this week was having successful student-led conferences (link). A bit of nail-biting and nervous foot tapping from the students part and a lot of active listening, patting on the back, wow-s and bravo-s from the parents part.
The unusual experience this week was going to a cafe at 7:00 a.m. On a school day I have no time to go to a cafe and on a day off I enjoy having a slow breakfast at home. Yesterday I had to give a ride to my middle daughter who had to catch an early bus to Tartu to participate in state chemistry competition. Since I had no wish to eat breakfast at 6:00 a.m, and school was still closed, I decided to eat my breakfast at a hotel cafe. Drinking a cup of green tea and eating salmon quiche, I wondered how many people would guess that I am a teacher. Is it written on my face?
The best slice this week I wrote on Thursday. You can read it here.
The tickles-my-pride moment this week was seeing my slice mentioned as an inspiration on TWT blog. I was pleasantly surprised when Stacey wrote to me and asked for a permission. I felt honored and of course I said yes.
The together-time this week took me to a theatre with my hubby, mom and sis on Wednesday and to movies with my eldest on Friday. We went to see "The Divergent." The room was filled with teenagers. I was the only middle-aged person in the room. I am glad that my daughter took me.
The heart-warming memories this week include hugs, sweet wishes, little gifts, a surprise cake, and flowers. Getting older is not too bad.
Wishing you all sunshine and smiles!




I hear happiness and joy with a dose of sadness in your post this morning....I too will be sad with this month of slicing ends...but I do need to get back on the treadmill!
ReplyDeleteLovely reflection that both summarizes and celebrates. Thanks for sharing and synthesizing it for us!
ReplyDeleteSo much to love in this post...Elephant & Piggie books, Student-Led Conferences!! :) Thank you for sharing your celebrations!
ReplyDeleteLovely reflection that both summarizes and celebrates. Thanks for sharing and synthesizing it for us!
ReplyDeleteI wouldn't be surprised if the TWT blog mentioned you as the inspiration EVERY DAY! It is so good to come here every day.
ReplyDeleteSo many celebrations, so many slices to share, so much commenting to do. Your week has been full and this month has been great. I too will miss this daily routine, but look forward to Tuesdays. Have a great weekend with lots more celebrations!
ReplyDeleteHow wonderful to have that 'early' breakfast just for you, Terje. And all the other celebrations are good to hear, too. It's been quite a month, hasn't it? I'm happy you had a good one too!
ReplyDeleteFun week - albeit a bit busy! Mine was similar -- I knew it was a busy week when I was in bed, and asleep last night by 9:45, and when I told myself, "You have to look at blogs," my self said, "Your eyes don't even work right now, you HAVE to go to sleep." :) So thankful for this Saturday morning...
ReplyDeleteNow you can't say you've never had breakfast out. I'm sure it was delicious and no one would have guessed you are a teacher ready to head off into the busy school day. A wonderful full week you've had!
ReplyDeleteYou have had an exciting and eventful week. For me, breakfast out on a work is a cause to celebrate. This month has been a whirlwind of writing. It is hard to believe that it is just about over.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on having successful student-led conferences. There is so much preparation involved in that process but I am sure it is so very worth it. It sounds like such a lovely week full of little surprises. Have another wonderful week this week!
ReplyDeleteI like routine in my life but I also appreciate moments in which there's a slight deviation but not a disruption. Sometimes they make us appreciate the life we live more! I like hanging out in cafes. And I wonder if we unknowingly project who/what we are to others.
ReplyDeleteCongrats on the shout out on TWT! We had student-led conferences this week, too. Are you at a PYP school?
ReplyDeleteYes.
DeleteThank you for sharing that other post - I just went and read it and it was lovely! The small moments make for a big life!
ReplyDeleteCongrats on being the inspiration at Two Writing Teachers!! What an honor and well deserved. :-) I, too, am sad to see this month coming to an end. At least we have Tuesdays! What fun to eat breakfast out like that. :-) When I worked at my previous school district, we did student-led conferences, and I loved them. The kids and parents did, too! Great celebrations!
ReplyDeleteSunshine and smiles for sure, Terje - loved the brightness and good cheer of your post!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the sunshine and smile wishes. I have had both today. :) I wish them right back at you.
ReplyDeleteSo much in this, I happily celebrate with you. Love the flowers at the end.
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderfully busy week! But so many celebrations, including a birthday! (Me too!) I'm feeling a little sad that it's almost the end as well, but my husband will be happy. :) It's a lot to balance!
ReplyDeleteHappy sweet birthday to you, friend.
Tulips for birthday celebration! Hope this year will include even more celebrations! Congratulations for being in inspiration for many writers at TWT!
ReplyDeleteI love the way you celebrate...I might try my own version of it! Thanks for a variety of celebrations.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on being the inspiration at TWT. I am not surprised at all. I love coming here and getting ideas from you. It is always a pleasure. Happy birthday! What wonderful surprises! There is a part of me that hates to see March end too, although these last fews days have been the most difficult. Have a great weekend!
ReplyDeleteSo many lovely memories for the week! happy birthday!
ReplyDelete