
Celebrate with Ruth Ayres
Where to start?
Start from the beginning.
I celebrate my friend and colleague. Sirje is a first grade teacher. I have known her more than half of my life. We went to the university together and have worked together more than 15 years. She is the one who invited me to join the Estonian Reading Association. Together we have given workshops to parents and Estonian teachers, written for a book, and organized Book Week events at school. This Tuesday we gave a workshop (to a small audience) at an international conference (big event). I wrote about it here. The best part is the laughter. No matter how worried or nervous we are, we find time to plan and practice, and then we laugh. A lot.
I celebrate reflection writing. I'll use the words I shared with the parents on our class blog:
Twice a year the students in PYP pause and ponder about who they are as
writers and readers, what attitudes do they show in math and inquiry, what
are some things they have created, what are their strengths and areas to
grow, what have they learned and how much they have grown.
As a teacher it is fascinating to see how different students approach the task and what is that they find most important to include in their reflections.
We take writing reflections similarly to writing any texts. We think what is the purpose, who is the audience, what ideas and details to include, how to structure the text, and what words to use so it would be interesting to read.
Writing reflections takes time, yet it is important not to just plow on with learning, but to stop and see where we started, where we are now and where we are heading.
As a teacher it is fascinating to see how different students approach the task and what is that they find most important to include in their reflections.
We take writing reflections similarly to writing any texts. We think what is the purpose, who is the audience, what ideas and details to include, how to structure the text, and what words to use so it would be interesting to read.
Writing reflections takes time, yet it is important not to just plow on with learning, but to stop and see where we started, where we are now and where we are heading.
I celebrate going to gym. I was exhausted on Wednesday. I yawned and wanted to crawl to bed at six o'clock already. But I didn't. I went to gym instead. I still don't have the strength and stamina to do all the exercises, but I was there. I didn't skip the lesson.
I celebrate Mimm performing. Four times a week Mimm goes to gymnastics/dance training. Her trainer is this amazing woman, who in addition of training many groups of girls, organizes large scale performances. We had a large Cinderella musical in November and now there was a dance performance "Miina - one girl's story." This show took place all over the school house. The audience walked from one place to another and watched different dance groups perform a story of growing up. Even in between the dances, when the audience moved, we saw children acting to the music and text coming from the loud speakers. Mimm was part of two dances. Too excited to watch, I didn't take a single picture. The first dance was a rhythmical choreography with two drum sticks. The second one was a funny scene with girls trying on adult shoes. As I found out later, Mimm wasn't originally supposed to be in this dance, but since someone got sick and she knew the steps, she got the part.
On Thursday and Friday there were two performances on both days. I am so glad that my mom came to watch Mimm yesterday.
I celebrate my oldest being in a local newspaper. My mom was in a teacher newspaper last Friday. Now Marianne was interviewed for our local community newspaper. When I came home yesterday and took the newspaper from the mailbox, her picture was the first thing I saw. She was on the front cover. Even though she doesn't go to the local school anymore, she started dancing here, went to school for nine years here, and was recognized for her achievement.
I have to say it feels a bit funny but mighty exciting to have both my mom and my daughter in a newspaper.
I celebrate slicing and comments. These deserve a separate post. I will write it. Soon.
I celebrate a no-hurry Saturday. It doesn't happen often that I get a weekend where nothing is scheduled and no deadlines are looming. Well, there is always domestic duties and school work, but no pressure. I have no plans.
I celebrate a no-hurry Saturday. It doesn't happen often that I get a weekend where nothing is scheduled and no deadlines are looming. Well, there is always domestic duties and school work, but no pressure. I have no plans.
Where to start?
Start from the beginning.

Oh I love how your post ends...Start from the beginning. Congrats on the amazing celebrations in your life! I love the pressure-less-ness of your weekend...mine too. I celebrate your time to enjoy the weekend!!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great way for you to start a Saturday - celebrating your blessings. And what a great way for me to start my Saturday - reminding me to celebrate mine!
ReplyDeleteIt's a good thing you have a slow weekend ahead. Sounds like a wonderful week filled with love, laughter and a wee bit of sweat!
ReplyDelete
ReplyDeleteWhat wonderful celebrations! So exciting about your girls!
Love the phrase "no-hurry Saturday"! My favorite kind of days!
Sounds like a perfect, full week ending in just the right fashion: a slice to commemorate it all! Take a deep breath and just enjoy the fullness of life!
ReplyDeleteSo many wonderful moments to savor from the week! When we take this moment, we discover how rich our life is with celebrations. You are blessed many times over. What talented girls you have! Enjoy this no-plan weekend, I too, have that kind of weekend ahead of me.
ReplyDeleteMimm's performance, and that of the whole group sounds so creative, to share all over the school. It must have been very exciting, Terje. All the other celebrations are terrific, too, and finding that your older daughter was on the front page of the newspaper too, like her grandmother, what a treat! Glad you shared so many moments, & that 'no-hurry' Saturday sounds just right!
ReplyDeleteSuch BIG celebrations this week! Are there any links to videos of your daughter dancing? You have shared pictures, but I would love to see her dance. What a great start to slow-it-down weekend. Enjoy!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great week. Have a great time with your relaxed weekend. I love unscheduled time.
ReplyDeleteYou have certainly had an exciting week with many things to celebrate. I can feel your smile and pride coming through your words.
ReplyDeleteTwo things hit me in your celebrations, actually all things made me smile, but two in particular stand out. 1) Being too excited to take pictures and 2) slicers. Agree, agree! Enjoy the leisure of the weekend.
ReplyDeleteTerje,
ReplyDeleteYour celebrations are so joyful! The dance performance sounds amazing! Glad for your not rushed Saturday.
I love that you shared that you and your friend laugh a lot. Congratulations on presenting at the big conference! When I presented at the NCTIES Conference, I also enjoyed laughing a lot with my parents who joined me. Laughter is the best medicine for stress. I like how you shared your other celebrations too. You must be so proud of your family and the dancing performance. Your class is so fortunate to have you because you provide opportunities for reflection. Awesome Celebrations!
ReplyDeleteWow. So many wonderful celebrations. I love how you described your friend and colleague and all the things that are important to you in that relationship! So meaningful to have someone to learn with and learn from.
ReplyDeleteWhat a great surprise to find your daughter on the front page of the newspaper!
ReplyDeleteI love the description of the show Mimm was in, and the audience moved. Kudos to you for hitting the gym even when you'd rather head for bed. Enjoy your no-hurry Saturday! I'm having a slower day too.
ReplyDeleteGreat week Terje! Going to the gym has kept me sane and energized during this harsh winter. And my legs are grateful. I could feel the excitement seeing the second person from your family in the newspaper! So much to celebrate.
ReplyDeleteLove you Saturday --it connected with me -- a day with no pressing plans. I have not had one of those lately. You have inspired to make some time today. Congrats to your daughter as well -- I loved being able to hyperlink and read about her dance championship!
ReplyDeleteClare
You life is rich, Terje. There's nothing like a friend to laugh with a lot! It's good to talk to parents about reflecting--makes one think of life in general. Nothing like having a talented daughter and mom--congratulations to all of you. So glad I can share in your savoring.
ReplyDelete