Pages

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

strings

My middle daughter (15) has been working on this picture for quite some time. It hangs on her closet door and when she has time she continues coloring it. She said that she had no purpose or message in mind when she started. One idea just passed by and she followed it.
I look at the picture and get all sorts of thoughts.

Sometimes I am convinced that I am not a puppet guided by someone else. I make choices. Even when there are things that I have to do or events I can't control happen, I have the choice to how to react or what to do next. I can choose my moves and lines. I can take a break when I need it. It doesn't matter what others expect, I am the judge of my success. I really appear to be independent and free.

Sometimes I know that the invisible strings guiding me can't be easily cut. My beliefs, values, knowledge and experiences determine my reactions and actions.  No matter how much I deny it I depend on the approval of audience. I want someone to applaud or pat me on the back.  I want to know that I am doing the right thing.

Sometimes I wonder what would have happened if my mom would have taken me to a ballet school when I was a child.

Is  the dancing puppet happy?
Is the girl playing with the puppet happy?
Is the mom of the girl happy?

7 comments:

  1. I would imagine, from your older perspective, that you see much more to ponder than your daughter might see, Terje. Sometimes I think we don't have much choice, but must do what must be done, even as mundane a task as cooking dinner so all can eat, but then when there is an open hour, there is choice, or if an opportunity/invitation beckons, there is choice to take it. You always raise good questions, Terje. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lot of deep thinking this lovely painting has inspired! As I get older, my thoughts about choice have become so much more complicated. Choice depends upon the task before me...sometimes my heart and soul are in the response to the task, sometimes it is simply a sense of duty...you have me thinking, Terje!
    P.S. What a lovely painting! Great perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terje,
    What beautiful art your daughter created. In addition, I'm thankful for your reflection. You are right. We always have a choice on how to respond. Thanks for the reminder.
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is she a ballet dancer? That is a wonderful painting and it does spur interesting thoughts. Choices are always there, our experiences guide us. Would you have wanted to be a ballerina?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thought provoking indeed, love how you took something that to some might seem just like a poster, and made it have a soul. All your questioning, perspectives, invitations to wonder, all very insightful. Just shows what a perceptive person you are.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Terje, wow all this wondering from just one picture! You make so many great metaphors from this work of art and draw connections to your professional life...you got me thinking, am I controlled by the puppeteer?

    ReplyDelete
  7. The picture and your writing created even more new images for me.

    ReplyDelete