Pages

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

The best part of the day...

It was over. The team had said their final word. The director and the principal had taken many notes while I just sat there, listening to the commendations and recommendations. The commendations were about our positive learning atmosphere, our hard work, continuous improvement, and thoroughness of our self-study. Most of the recommendations where exactly what we had indicated in our self-study and had already included in our action plan. Now the two visitors were putting on their coats. I wasn't sure what the appropriate etiquette was, so I extended my hand and said thank you to the man. I walked over to the woman with my hand stretched. She took my hand and pulled me closer, "Let me give you a hug. You have done a great job and I wish you good luck for the future."
I felt lifted.
In the morning before the final meeting I had received a letter - a handwritten letter from USA. A thank you letter from a former student who is currently in 6th grade. A thank you for getting her to love reading and introducing Harry Potter in third grade. This letter armored me with a smile for the rest of the day.
It touched my heart.

In the evening I sat on a small chair in a kindergarten room and listened to my daughter singing and reading poetry with her friends. A toothless smile and waving in between the numbers, a giggle and a curtsy -all were part of a performance. After the sweet and short Mother's Day concert she gave me a card with a princess and a bracelet from bottle caps. The sun shone warmly as we leisurely walked home, hand-in-hand.
Love all around and within.




12 comments:

  1. Thank you for lifting my day. As you shared your pearls you reminded me of a few of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wonderful collection that speaks to different parts of your work, who you are and value. You have captured them in neat, well rounded paragraphs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful, Terje. I love how you wound around different events, and yet it feels like a cohesive whole.
    Thanks for writing today,
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's the small gestures that reach out make a difference in our day. You have touched many lives. What a lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love all around and within.
    What an amazing line that is - so true, as you were able to experience and take comfort in. Thank yoiu for sharing this, Terje.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an amazing day. I loved reading this swirl of happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Me too, Terje. It can't be any better than what you just described as your day, but especially that end with your daughter. What a sweet memory & nice that the teacher did that for all of you. The hug & the letter are awesome acclamations for your teaching. Congratulations for that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a day! This a wonderful collection of sweet moments. How nice for you to have them all ink one day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful day! I could feel the sigh of relief. I could hear the surprise. I could see the smile of pride. Just perfect and I'm so glad you savored it today!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Terje, for reminding me of the power of a simple hug.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The way you have written about each event makes the reader feel part of the moment. The image of your daughter made me smile:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Terje, what a delightful day you had. Thank you so much for sharing your joy and happiness. These are the moments to remember and cherish and to bring out when you need a pick-me-up.

    ReplyDelete