Pages

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

trashbag's escape

Oh, no! They have pulled me form under the kitchen sink, tied a knot on top of me, and left me next to the door. This is THE END. I have seen school bags, handbags, lunch bags, sports bags, and briefcases leaving and returning, but never a trash bag. I have heard my friends and relatives pleading and screaming before being thrown to a huge green bin only to be swallowed by a monstrous truck. This is not going to happen to me.

I don’t want THE END. I have enjoyed my life under the sink where glimpses of light always meant additional filling. I have my treasures: curled up pony stickers, sweet candy wrappers, salty potato chip bag, a cherry colored lipstick, bright pink nail polish, and a broken tea cup with silver lining. Thinking of the treasures allowed accepting other things with dignity. I can survive the outstretched stinky sock, the headless Barbie, the green comb without middle teeth, the moldy bread and rotten apples.

I don’t want THE END. I want to see the world. I want the world to see me.

I need a plan. Quick.

Here I go. The big man in his winter coat won’t notice that I hook myself to his fingers.

Bye-bye home.

Wow. I like that car. Big, black and shiny – just like me.

What a great move, sneaking in secretly and settling myself on the floor in front.

I might be leaking a bit, but that’s not my problem.

So where are we heading?

What is a deep ominous voice singing from the radio? “This is a road to hell….”

I have to get out!

The car is slowing down. Jump.

Wow. What a wonderful spot. Right in the middle of freshly fallen snow, tall and spiky pines guarding me from the back, gray road stretching to both sides in front of me, sun shining its spotlight on me.

Perfect! I can see the world. The world can see me! Just like I wanted.

People, in the cars passing by, look at me!

Look at me!

Ouch. Go away, you mean crow.

Ouch. Stop pecking.

Ouch. You are ruining my bulging full figure.

Ouch.

18 comments:

  1. Terje, I love this! The unique perspective is wonderful. The treasures you mention from daily life (the broken tea cup with the silver lining) and the discards (the green comb with its middle teeth missing) made me think about my definition of trash. It was funny yet thought provoking at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! You have given me an idea for a slice Terje. Your pieces is such a wonderful reminder to do this kind of writing with kids. They love it to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very witty! I never thought about it from the trashbag's point of view.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terje,

    You have such a strong voice. It comes through so clearly in your writing. This piece on the garbage bag is such a creative idea. I think it would make a great writing prompt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never stopped to look at life through the eyes of a trash bag - what a creative perspective. You have included so many pieces of life in your reflection. Now I am wondering - what other eyes deserve representaion? Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a clever voice that trash bag has! It is fun to imagine what an item would say if it could talk. You put in so many details that made this so real. I'm saving it as an example of writing through a mask.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was so fun to read. Writing from a different point of view really brings out the creativity! I'll have to share this with my creative writing students. They can use this for inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very funny & it's fun to include some of those environmental bits, too. I just returned to the two earlier posts because I hadn't gotten to you those days Terje. I too loved that Ted Talk from Wake Up & Write, worth missing pancakes I think. And I thought it was so brave of you to have the kids describe you. They notice so much, don't they? I sometimes have students say, what's wrong, & they think I'm unhappy, when it's just me thinking, or ? Thanks for 3 great slices!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I second every one else's comments! So very creative you are and a perspective that I would never have thought about! But you truly brought the garbage bag to life - with such feelings and emotions! I'll never look at my garbage bags the same again . . .

    (sorry about the first comment . . . I'm typing to fast while eating my lunch! I'm telling myself to slow down, but - but - )

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great idea. Kids love to do this kind of thing. I've never thought of a trash bag though. You description of the contents of the bag was perfect. I could see every item clearly. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great piece. So creative! I'm going to share this with the upper grades teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great slice, Terje! I remember writing as my lunch bag in 8th grade. Maybe we should all give this a try. Love it!
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  15. Each of the objects in that trash bag have their own story. That is what you do with words. You are a magic writer who gives words their own stories as you write.

    I love, love, love this story! (and I don't mind that the ending is happy...at least from the bag's point of view)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh so very clever. You sucked us all in with your trash bag story! Who knew the perspective of a trash bag could be so entertaining...you did!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This was great! I shared it with my fourth grade class today. It started as a motivation read. I wanted them to think about in new directions but we also were talking about what is point of view. It was perfect. We needs to discuss to much for them to understand and enjoy it. They loved it and asked to read it several times. Thanks for a great idea and post!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Totally fun piece! In my part of the world, plastic bags are becoming hot commodities - hard to find! Love "putting myself in another one's shoes" (or bag).

    ReplyDelete