The papers are plotting against me. They have a plan to attack and conquer my room, and then bury me alive. They're gathering the troops, all ranks are represented: post-it reminders, webs, lists, drafts, charts, stories, math worksheets, posters, homework, permission-slips, letters, weekly menus, flayers, schedules, manuals, tests, reflections, colored in pictures, and origami kittens. Marching in with the kids, hiding behind administrators, using parents a a shield, slipping through the cracks of the floor, falling from the ceiling, and sneaking in through the windows - the papers seize me. I thought I was prepared with my weapons and strategies. Files, folders, binders, trays, portfolios, boxes, and hanging pockets are all in my arsenal. I have scheduled time for reading, responding, marking, sorting, displaying, returning, forwarding, and discarding the papers. I have tried to protect myself with electronic devices, trapping papers to virtual world. No use, the papers are unstoppable. I don't want to surrender nor admit my defeat. But sometimes I think the best thing to do is to sit very still, pretend that papers don’t exist, wait long enough, until the papers expire, loose their meaning and strength, an can simply be sent to a new life in recycling plant.
"the papers seize me"
ReplyDeleteOh, Terje, you feel my paper pain!!! I love how you see paperwork as a battle. I have one counter covered right now, and once a week I shove it all into a drawer, feeling defeated.
Excellent slice!!
As much as everyone is trying to go paperless, I'm not sure I can fully commit! However, I have a stack of papers sitting writing next to me, staring, watching, waiting for me to do something. Oh, another day I'll get to it. Papers have taken over our lives. I love how you captured it! (So, I'm so glad you wrote today!)
ReplyDelete"But sometimes I think the best thing to do is to sit very still, pretend that papers don’t exist, wait long enough, until the papers expire, loose their meaning and strength, an can simply be sent to a new life in recycling plant." I'm glad you wrote the words I think so often. The paper load is heavy...
ReplyDeleteI really like how you seemingly build a mound of papers with your words (post-it reminders, webs, lists, drafts, charts, stories, math worksheets,...). One can't help but feel burdened and overwhelmed, you can feel the paper pile growing.
ReplyDeleteTerje, I love the way you build a picture of the relentless march of papers. Such a well constructed slice. The reader is able to easily visualize your plight.
ReplyDeleteAlan
Those papers gave you a post--slice of every day life. I usually said I would grade 5 papers at one sitting and then take a break. It worked for me because when you count by 5's it all adds up fast.
ReplyDeleteIt is an attack of papers, but you do have a great arsenal to combat the onslaught. This was fun to read!
ReplyDeleteThere is a lot here to relate to--all those papers from all those places! Love how you turned the piles into a post.
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness. I so get this.
ReplyDelete