Pages

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Whose rules?

 

"I thought we had a rule that if it takes you more than two hours to fix something you would stop and take it to the specialist." 
"That's your rule, not mine," my husband replied.

I like my selfish rule. Watching him operating a sewing machine on Sunday is not exactly my dream way of spending time. I know from experience that when he is in his I-will-fix-it mind set he will be in his world for hours, a whole afternoon, or even a full day. The two-hour rule has never worked.  He loves taking things apart, figuring out what is wrong, and then making things work again. I have seen the inner life of a VCR player, an electric stove, a radio, a TV, a blender, a car, a tractor, not to mention the little mechanical toys that he has fixed. My brain lacks the part that understands how little levers, knobs, screws, wires, springs, cogwheels, and other nameless pieces combined make stuff work. I do not find beauty in the ever growing collection of screwdrivers, pincers, tweezers, pliers, wrenches, and other tools. It's scary that fixing things almost always involves some bloody scratches. 

Nevertheless I understand his response. If he said that there is a time limit to my writing I wouldn't follow that rule either. 

11 comments:

  1. Ha! This gave me a chuckle because it's soooo true! I love how you created lists within your piece to exponentially explain the "fix-it" mind set. Love how you connected it at the end with your writing. I wouldn't follow that rule either!!!

    Thanks for writing today.
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh dear - I hope he got it fixed. I don't have that fix-it gene either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post. I like the the second paragraph where you describe what he fixes and what you don't like....I don't have the fix-it gene either, but I admire those who do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so blessed to have a handy man as a husband. I am not patient enough to try to figure that kind of stuff out...that and I hate waiting to get things fixed. I love how you compared the 2 hour rule to your writing...I chuckled and had to agree. Hopefully the fixing process is quick.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You leave me wondering, did the sewing machine get fixed? I hear a bit of frustration with the fix-it determination, but it sounds like there has been lots of success in getting things fixed. I hope you (or someone) is sewing soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think many women can relate to their husband's fix it gene. I'm not patient enough to fix it myself. I want it done and done now! I love the "inner life" portion!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh, I would not be able to stay out of that mess! I would be all up in there giving suggestions and annoying the pants off my husband. I too, lack the understanding it takes to do that kind of work. However, unlike you, I remain hopeful that if I stay near someone who has it, I might grow that part of my brain too! The photograph went a long way in telling this story before I even began reading! Thanks for sharing. Hope you are sewing again soon... but writing can keep you plenty busy in the meantime!

    ReplyDelete
  8. p.s. Your blog title makes me chuckle every time I see it. I am so glad you pushed yourself beyond your initial expectations!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm the one who takes things apart in my house - I have found "google" to be a wonderful help in my DIY efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love taking things apart. I'm not quite as dedicated as your husband (or my dad), but I can spend a significant amount of time analyzing the different parts. I, too, am wondering if the machine got fixed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. And me too-was it fixed? I also, like one sunflower, depend on google for many things, including the how-to stuff. You wrote a description that put us right in that place-fix it doldrums. I sometimes fix things, but sometimes I'm the tool giver (something like when the doctor asks for the scalpel). It's not so fun, is it, but your point at the end is a good one to help us all look at the 'other' perspective. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete