

Some people wondered whether my husband managed to
fix the sewing machine. Almost. He put it back together. Unfortunately one plastic cogwheel was broken and he couldn't clue it nor replace it. So the stitch selector knob doesn't move. Everything else works. Now here comes a confession: of all the 10 different stitches to choose from I used only straight and zigzag. It was more than enough for the few clothes, curtains, pillow cases, and other experiments that I made. Currently the machine is fixed on the straight stitch. Fine for a rainy day to make new clothes for a baby doll. I made button holes by hand.
And while the machine was broken I knitted a dress for the doll. My knitting and sewing skills are similar to my cooking and dancing. I can do several things but it hardly ever turns out exactly as I envisioned. Since I am not planning to sell anything, nor participate in any competitions or exhibitions it really doesn't matter so much. The process is enjoyable. There are cases when I can be totally happy with the end result also.
As my middle daughter (14) said: " You won't be a grandmother for quite a while. Keep practicing."
So one day I will be an excellent dancing-cooking-handicrafting grandmother.
Glad your husband was able to put the sewing machine back together. It's a start! Love the wise words from your daughter: Keep practicing. :) I think you did a great job sewing and knitting. Far better than what I could even attempt!
ReplyDelete