Pages

Monday, March 7, 2011

Snow Queen in self pity

I saw Snow Queen on my way home. She was hunched on the side of the road, her once bright white gown tattered, the lace of the hem covered in mud, the faded crystals of her crown falling off. Her snow snakes and serpents slowly slithered around her. She was a pathetic shadow of her midwinter powers, radiating self-pity.

Pull yourself together woman. Stop worrying that young and fresh beauty will take your place. Stop looking for approval. Stop whining that nobody cares and loves you. Stop saying you are no good. The kids will remember the joy of plunging into the freshly fallen snow. The plants are thankful for the comforting blanket you covered them with when they went to sleep. We all appreciate the picturesque scenes you created.You are gorgeous and magnificent.

Go have some rest. Meditate. Come back in December, and we will twirl-whirl, dance and laugh together: all the women – strong, smart, caring and beautiful.

6 comments:

  1. Love this vision! I had to go back and read it twice because I loved your wording and phrases. The Snow Queen is a powerful woman that is losing her strength...good for us because I'm ready for the fresh beauty of the earth. But personifying winter like you did -- magnificent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope the Snow Queen finds a good place to stay for a long while. She is beautiful for a time, but you know the saying "Company and fish both start to smell after 5 days." Great description!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had started to see her white gown getting brown and muddy this week, and had mentioned that to my husband. I just didn't know who I was looking at.
    But now that I know... As the rain pelts down today, I can hear her faint wails of "I'm melllting!" The chickadees and I are happy.
    I loved your description! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Snow Queen is still ruling here in Montana. We had a dusting yesterday. Your imagery is rich and memorable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Terje,
    This piece knocks my socks off. Like Michelle I had to read this piece twice. The indirect comparison of the wretched, chunky, grey, gross snow to a queens dilapidated attire is simply gorgeous. You are a master of words.

    Keep up the great work. I love reading your work.
    Erin

    ReplyDelete