Pages

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Ooey, gooey

"Ooey, gooey, sweet, and chewy," played a tune in my head when I unwrapped two marshmallow walnut chocolate chip cookies for dessert at school.
"Child labor?" inquired my friend from across the table.
Yep. Everyone in the building knows that the cookies I bring are always baked by my two teenage daughters. What can I do when a culinary inspiration hits them in the evening? Who am I to stop them from bringing joy and delight to the whole family? Aren't we supposed to support creation, experimentation, collaboration?
They have played with various flavors, ingredients, and techniques to make treats of trance . Crumbly, tender, chunky, sandy, crunchy, crisp, cakey - I have had to expand my cookie texture vocabulary. Even though the cookies do not always turn out Martha Stewart style perfect and photogenic, it doesn't matter. So far we have eaten all the cookies. Including the crumbs.
"Ooey, gooey, sweet, and chewy," the tune plays in my head even now. I have one cookie left.

4 comments:

  1. Can you save that last one for me? You have my utmost envy. Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those sound delicious. I'm not sure if I should thank you for the song or curse you. I'm sure the song and the vision of those cookies will follow me the rest of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How lucky you are to have someone in your house who bakes. I love to bake and do it all the time, but it sure would be nice once in awhile to smell someone else's creations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow--I am envious! My just-turned-teen daughter is a bit of a mess in the kitchen yet, despite my own efforts and those of my sister. Daughter tends to be a bit on the flighty side and that hampers her. :) She does have fun with it though, and my son makes a mean monster cookie. Wonder where he is....

    ReplyDelete