
I was so ready for the whining choir singing it’s famous chorus “Do we have to?”
I was ready to explain why we have portfolios and how writing reflections is an important part of being an active and self-directed learner.
I was ready that the complaining would still continue leaving me wondering whether I had imagined myself speaking and hit the replay button instead.
None of it happened this year. All my fourth graders started writing their reflections on the first day, some of them chose writing reflections over reading during the independent study, and some even did reflections as homework.
Had they matured?
Did they actually understand the benefits of reflecting?
Did they take it as inevitable part of the school life?
Had the whole class been abducted by aliens and replaced with new creatures?
They were writing without a whisper of whimper. They were writing well.
Nobody believes me.
I love it when my students surprise me with their reactions! It is one of the things that makes teaching such a fun job. I would guess that the modeling and attitude of their teacher contributed to their more-enthusiastic-than-expected response :)
ReplyDeleteThis is great! I just started my 7th grade group of students blogging. I am blogging for them right now until they are ready, but I have been pleasantly surprised by their willingness and ability (most of them) to comply with what I'm expecting. Some of their thoughts have surprised me and I love that!
ReplyDeleteIt's great to hear such a story & I hope you feel a huge feeling of accomplishment that all your words, all your modeling/cajoling/maybe even threatening has made a start in their independence - thought & behavior. Tell your student that I liked the slice of life definition & it gave me an idea for my own.
ReplyDeleteI LOL when I read your line, "I was already for the Whining Choir singing "Do We Have To". Here I thought I WAS THE ONLY ONE who heard this line! It sounds like you have built a great writing community. You have opened the door to the love of writing. Congratulations - job well done.
ReplyDeleteI think it must be the aliens.
ReplyDeleteLove this. While, yes, your class as clearly been replaced by pod people, they're such happy pod people, so ready to write! :) I love your students' slice.
ReplyDelete