Who is that woman looking at me from the hallway mirror on the Sunday morning? Her hair is flat and lifeless; dark shadows surround the eyes; the forehead looks like a lined paper; lips are dry, cracked, and colorless. I don't want to believe that I am the middle aged woman. My shoulders and corners of my mouth are drawn an inch closer to the floor, and I sigh. When I was younger the mirrors were much better quality. They showed my body slimmer and skin smoother.
My hubby comes from the kitchen, gives a tight bear hug and a kiss on a cheek.
"Breakfast is ready," he announces.
"Kolme-kalli (three-hug)," Mimm (6) runs to us, and we lift her up. I get a kiss on my other cheek.
"I drew a picture of you," Mimm says when we get to the kitchen.
Forget the mirrors.
I am the fairest of all.

Never believe a mirror. It's who you are inside that matters.
ReplyDelete:)
Kevin
The lines are made from laughing. They are proof that you have been leading an enjoyable life.
ReplyDeleteLove the picture of the drawing! Kids see us so clearly.
ReplyDeletePainted with love. What's better than that.
ReplyDeleteLove it! I try not to let the mirrors tell me who I am anymore. It's what's inside and how others see us that counts. Have a great day! Clearly, your daughter would agree with me :).
ReplyDeleteIt is those little gifts that become such large ones! I'm happy you saw that mirrors don't count. However, I loved the words "When I was younger, mirrors were much better quality." You hit the 'feeling' on the nose!
ReplyDeleteI also like the words, "When I was younger, mirrors were much better quality." I didn't think aging would bother me as far as physical appearance but I find myself looking at those lines in the mirror also! Love your ending, "I am the fairest of them all."
ReplyDeleteChildren are adorable.
ReplyDeleteWhat a sweetie...kids put everything into perspective for us.
ReplyDeleteWhat a great slice! I love Mimm's picture.
ReplyDeleteAll my mirrors reflect the me that looks in--it's just not the me that I think I am! You explain that disconnect so perfectly. Glad you got a "three-hug" and a better reflection.
ReplyDeleteElizabeth E.
http://peninkpaper.blogspot.com/
Terje,
ReplyDeleteI like how you bring this slice full circle, from the way you see yourself to the way your daughter sees you. I also like the use of a fairytale to help tell the story. Excellent writer's craft.
Your friend,
Erin