Pages

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Meeting Olive Kitteridge


I wasn't looking for a book. The pile of must-read-PD-books was mile high already, the list of I'd-love-to-read-that was long like a kite string. Yet when I passed the classroom and spotted the mellow-yellow cover of this book on the shelf I was drawn to it.
"You'll like it," she sounded convincing handing the book to me.
"Winner of the Pulitzer Prize" I noticed the golden sun of appraisal in the upper right corner.
Only later I discovered another barely invisible circle stamped by a coffee cup. The inseparable friendship ring of a book, a coffee cup, and a woman was the greatest promise of all.

4 comments:

  1. I like your simile of the stack of books as long as a kite string. Sounds like an interesting book (I googled the title). Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm, I love the last line, "The inseparable friendship ring of a book, a coffee cup, and a woman was the greatest promise of all". Wow. Eloquent and riveting. That would be the phrase I would hang on my wall by my bookshelves and my chair - a reminder of how incredibly inviting books can be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed this piece and the line, "...inseparable friendship ring of a book..."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terje,
    I LOVED this book. I think it is an amazing study in perspective. I really hope you enjoy it. I'm with Heather and Blink, the line about the friendship ring of a coffee mug stain is great. I feel the same way. I like a good coffee cup stain on letters, books, newspapers...it's a window into a moment where time is a bit more luxurious.
    Happy Reading,
    Erin

    ReplyDelete