My heart missed a beat. I didn't hear her coming, but must have sensed it. When I woke up she was standing next to my bed - a silent shadow with big wide eyes. Without saying a word she took my hand. With this gesture she asked for a protection from the nightly fears that creep in through the darkness. I followed my sweet little ghost to her room.
I was way too tired to be able to sit and wait for her to fall asleep again. I looked at the dream bed of a six year old girl, all pink with a canopy over it. Not exactly my size. Oh, well. The soft stuffed animals had to scoop over and I climbed in. With knees bent, all crooked, laying on one side, we cuddled up, Mimm's tangled hear tickling my nose. Guarded by a duck, a cat, a doll, and a sheep we both quickly fell asleep again. When I woke up I was aching all over. I don't think it had anything to do with my age or size, or the fact that the bed was too small, or that Mimm's knees and elbows had poked me. I must have passed the test. Surely there is a small round pea under the mattress. I am a princess!
I was way too tired to be able to sit and wait for her to fall asleep again. I looked at the dream bed of a six year old girl, all pink with a canopy over it. Not exactly my size. Oh, well. The soft stuffed animals had to scoop over and I climbed in. With knees bent, all crooked, laying on one side, we cuddled up, Mimm's tangled hear tickling my nose. Guarded by a duck, a cat, a doll, and a sheep we both quickly fell asleep again. When I woke up I was aching all over. I don't think it had anything to do with my age or size, or the fact that the bed was too small, or that Mimm's knees and elbows had poked me. I must have passed the test. Surely there is a small round pea under the mattress. I am a princess!
You are a princess and what a wonderful decision!
ReplyDeleteBonnie
This was a beautiful piece. I had no questions when I finished reading it just a painting. Sweet dreams.
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful piece of writing. I love the ending. It reminded me of 3:30 a.m. this morning, when our little entered our room and shouted out, " I think Duke (our dog) is going to throw up!" And then he went back to sleep while I dealt with the dog. Some nights are like that ...
ReplyDeleteKevin
Such a good slice! You captured this so perfectly. I love the first sentence. What parent hasn't experienced waking to the silent ghost. Your last sentence had me laughing out loud. Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteI can recall many nights when these ghosts ended up snuggled between my husband and me, as well as the dog. I think that is why King size beds were invented.
ReplyDeleteWhy do children do that? They stand there, staring at you. Somehow you know this and wake up to see a frightened, or sad, pair of eyes at your bedside. Not a word is spoken--do they reach into our dreams and find us?
ReplyDeleteOne of my friends had a child who came in to get him because there were "snakes in my bed." He went in and on the bed were striped sheets. The father got out a large book from the child's bookcase, smacked the bed several times and said to the child, "I got them. They're dead." They all went back to sleep.
Some nights my dreams are so vivid I wake up tired, or sad, or feeling like I've had a really good conversation with someone I haven't seen in years.
Good for you for comforting the child--glad you passed the princes and the pea test!
Elizabeth E.
http://peninkpaper.blogspot.com/
I just had a silent ghost visit me last month. We babysat my 4 year old grandchild, Noah. I gave him a flashlight before he went to bed, and there he was, only with a bright light in my eyes!!! Glad you were princess for a night.
ReplyDeleteI have had many a night like this. It's amazing how our big bodies can squeeze into a small bed to comfort our little ones. Loved the princess and the pea reference...very cute!
ReplyDeleteSuch a beautiful picture of a mama princess and her baby princess (not to mention all of the loyal stuffed subjects!)
ReplyDeleteI love the image of the "sweet little ghost." I agree with Elizabeth. How can their eyes can wake us without saying a word? My teenagers still woke me up when they were sick.
ReplyDeleteTerje,
ReplyDeleteThis is a dreamy, yummy piece. I am left with a whimsical image. I adore the line where the different stuffed animals guard you during the night.
Your friend,
Erin