Pages

Friday, March 20, 2026

lunch in town

Looking at the people around me, all strangers, in a bookstore cafe during lunch time, I wonder whether they gobble their food with hunger, savour every bite or consume the food with their mind at work, what was and what's yet to come. 

I get an answer about one man.

"You ordered soup, didn't you?' a waitress asks at a table next to me with a bowl in her hand.

"Yes," a middle-aged man in a suit answers in a deep and confident voice.

" I was confused for a moment. You have a fork on your table," the waitress comments.

"Ahh. Yes," the man looks at the fork, picks it up, stands up and walks to a counter to switch it for a spoon. 

His mind was somewhere else.

I have finished my chicken salad and now savour mint tea and continue people watching. 

Two books, one about gratitude brought from home for a train ride, and another one about work happiness, bought from another bookstore an hour ago, both useful for next week's workshop preparation, together with my journal rest on the table waiting for me to decide what to do next. I still have thirty minutes before a meeting in a nearby office. 

I have no problem eating out alone. Lunch at a bookstore cafe carries labels 'independence', 'luxury', 'privilege' and could also be called 'self-care', 'date with myself' and 'writerly opportunity'. 

Today it could also be called "consequence of unexpected circumstances'. In the morning there was. a malfunction of railroad infrastructure and some trains were cancelled or ran late or didn't reach the final station. I chose to take an earlier train to be sure to be in the city on time. Since my train had no problems I had a surprise gift of extra time. 

I choose to journal. For a slice. 



6 comments:

  1. I love this for you - extra time and a bookstore! Savoring a meal when eating alone is something I need to work on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also have no problem being along to eat in public. Give me a good book, and I am all set.

    ReplyDelete
  3. People watching is always interesting and can lead to fun slices. Having extra time to do something for yourself is always welcome. arjeha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, how I love the slice! It reminds me of Frank O'Hara's Lunch poems, only substitute you and slicing.....this makes a fun image to think of writing in the public space of a restaurant.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like how you wonder about those around you. I have found myself in a cafe for all the reasons you start our listing. I also agree that sitting alone in a cafe is 'self-care'. Today our school is out for Eid holiday and I had the priviledge of enjoying an early morning treat on a Friday at a cafe as I journaled. It fed my soul! Thanks for writing a slice that validated my day so well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Having extra time is such a gift. I enjoy eating alone and people watching, too. I'm glad you wrote about it and shared it with us.

    On a side note...I'd love to hear more about your work now that you're no longer working in a school. I've picked up on bits and pieces in your slices, but have so many questions. :)

    ReplyDelete