Rain. Cold. Lots of work to do in the morning. Going to the gym was an effort.
I said so to the receptionist after morning greetings, "It was hard to come to the gym this morning."
"It was hard to come to work even with this weather," the receptionist replies with an understanding nod.
"The whole start of the year has been a challenge. My work schedule has been irregular, and if I don't come in the morning, I know I won't make it in the afternoon. Last week I didn't show up at all," I continue as I walk towards the dressing room.
"You are good. You have been so good at showing up regularly. I know. I see," the receptionist shows thumbs up to me with both hands.
The kind words instantly give me extra strength to go and lift weights.

That receptionist is pure gold. What a boost to the moral those words are. Before covid I went to the gym in the wee hours. I workout at home now. I have a spin bike, Bosu ball, a spot for yoga, hand weights, and use them daily. There’s something about aging that makes it more doable.
ReplyDeleteThank goodness for those kind folks who don't hesitate to offer support and encouragement. A little goes a long way. Kudos to you for persevering despite the nasty weather!
ReplyDeleteI love this small moment exchange between two who in that moment really see each other and get how each feel. And as the reader, I realize these two will not interact any more today and possibly ever. Your slice reminds me of the importance of kind words, even between those we pass by quickly, like the receptionist at the gym.
ReplyDeleteSome days it is enough to be seen. Good for you for getting out.
ReplyDeleteSuch small words for a big confidence boost! I try to remember this. It costs nothing, not time and not money, to acknowledge someone's hard work. I'm glad they saw you showing up! And good for you!
ReplyDeleteI have been thinking about receptionists, and how they can really make our day. Especially ones at places we go to often. I hope they realize that they can be important people!
ReplyDeleteWe are seen. Yet to have it acknowledged is something else. Kudos to both of you for carrying in the face of obstacles.
ReplyDeleteSometimes a word of encouragement is all we need to keep us going. arjeha
ReplyDeleteYes, sometimes it just takes that little bit of encouragement from someone else noticing. :)
ReplyDeleteThat’s the kind of support we need! Way to go!
ReplyDeleteIt's special to be seen and even more special to be given kind, encouraging words.
ReplyDelete