I just finished a phone call with my sister, laughing that I was certainly getting older, I went to bed early yesterday and aching all over my body today. The inference based on the description is wrong though. I went to bed early because the workshops I give, as positive as they are and as much as they feed my soul, consume a lot of energy and I am exhausted by the evening. The muscles are sore from the weight lifting. Two positive things, loosely connected with age, one from having so much experience that I am ready to share it with others and the second in preparation to stay fit for a long time.
Yesterday's workshop for school leaders was about self-awareness and self-care. As writing has become such a big part of my identity, I built the workshop around it, to be me, to use what I know and to offer the gifts I have - mindfulness, gratitude and writing. I could see, hear and feel how the different poems and writing exercises touched the participants. Perhaps this has been my biggest growth last year - to trust to show more of me and do things my way.
I told the participants that my goal was to conduct the workshop with curiosity, ease and playfulness. In some ways it is funny that now that I turn fifty-four these are the keywords I try to let guide my life. Still learning.
When my mom called me this morning, she said that her inspirational quote calendar said, "The day is a canvas and you can splash the colours you like onto it." This too goes well with the ease and playfulness. I already went for a walk and found some colours that are perfect for today, together with the sweet phone calls and messages.

Happy Birthday, Terje! You share a birthday with my son, and what a great time of year to be born! I hope you splash all the colors you love the best onto your canvas today. And most important, I hope you are surrounded by the people you love most AND that you eat cake.
ReplyDeleteI hope the first day of your new year continues so joyfully!
ReplyDeleteHappy birthday! "Two positive things, loosely connected with age, one from having so much experience that I am ready to share it with others and the second in preparation to stay fit for a long time." I loved this juxtaposition.
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday!! I loved reading how oyu are now old enough, with "much experience that I am ready to share it with others." So glad you included your call with your mom. Clearly, you are living the quote she shared! So much joy in your writing. I just know oyu will have a great day and year!!
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday! I like the thought that every day is a canvas and we get to splash our own colors on it. Each day is wat we make it. May your days continue to be filled with joy. arjeha
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday!! I love that you are more comfortable sharing yourself with others. I would have loved to attend your workshop and learn from you today. Wishing you a happy day!!
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday! I love everything about this post, from your philosophy of life to the wisdom that comes from experience. Have a marvelous day splashing color!
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday to you. You are so right abou5 the exhaustion that comes from "performaning" and trying to inspire others. You are always an inspiration to me btw!!!
ReplyDeleteMany happy returns of the day, Terje! Keep lifting those weights, the work will serve you well!
ReplyDeleteI want to be in your workshops! I love how you frame your intention for the workshop. To be exhausted from a rewarding workshop given and weights lifted is a testament to a day well lived. I wish you a very happy birthday!
ReplyDeleteHappy birthday! I am so grateful for your presence and the curiosity, ease, and playfulness you model in your writing.
ReplyDelete