Pages

Tuesday, March 3, 2026

An incurable case of buying books

 So it happened again I thought to myself leaving a bookstore and heading towards a train station. Three new books added weight to the backpack. 

My meeting in the city had ended earlier and I had extra time before my train. I could have simply walked around or sat in a cafe drinking tea, but no, I headed to a bookstore. I should have known better. I rarely leave a bookstore without a purchase. 

There was one book I had seen weeks ago that had made me curious. Last week someone mentioned it. During the meeting in the city I had seen it again. So the bookstore detour was primed by the previous exposures to the book. In my head I knew I did not really need it. I could have borrowed it from the library that is only five minute walk from my home. I had choice. 

I chose to stand before a bookshelf looking for the book. I found one copy of Kerry Howells' Untangling You. I could have just browsed it and put it back. I chose to pick it up. And on the way to the cashier, without long thought, I picked up two more books from the tables. Tara Westover's Educated asked to come home because my own book had travelled to someone else's home library years ago. And an old classic Bel Kaufman's Up the Down Staircase was mentioned in a podcast discussion recently.

Did I really need these books? No. Was I aware that once in a bookstore I wouldn't be able to resist? Yes. Did anyone force me to go to the bookstore? No. It was all my doing. I have given up trying to change my book buying habits. A moment of guilt passes quickly. The joy of reading always overweighs it. 




14 comments:

  1. Terje, I think we can all relate to this! I love the repeated “I could have” sentences leading up to what you actually did. I love how Educated asked to come home with you! Ha! I am just as guilty as you; I can almost never leave a bookstore without buying more books that I don’t really need… - Amy, writingwithabandon.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect ending! You guilt! I personally have been trying to use my well-stocked public library instead of buying. But it doesn't always work out that way for me. Curious - What language are the books in in your bookstore? What language do you mostly read in?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely a "problem" I can relate to- but the pleasure it brings? Priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I, too, need to be on a book diet, but I am a glutton for literature. I'm glad to know I have good company in you! Great book choices. And you limited yourself to only three! That's a good thing - you could have bought ten or twelve, right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The bookstore and all of its temptations are hard to resist! I have been searching now for the book Up the Downstairs that you purchased to see if I can request from the library. They don't have it. But I did discover that a movie was made from the book in 1967. So now not only do I have another book to add to my list of to get from the bookstore, I have a movie to watch as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I get it. I'm the exact same way. I visited a great bookstore in KL this weekend, and I was like a kid in a candy store! I always say, there are way worse addictions than books.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If buying more books is a malady, may they never find a cure for it. arjeha

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love bookstores. Barnes and Noble, independent stores, any book store.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Terje,
    Buying books is a righteous use of one’s funds. Carry on!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That opening line had me laughing. How could this possibly keep happening?? I'm right there with you. Heading out of town for conference tomorrow and have my bookstore visits all lined up. Do I need more books? Well, no. But I know I will come home with a stack!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Educated is on my TBR pile. We are kindred spirits. I am a collector of books.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved reading about your book buying habits! I, too, love bookstores. I've been missing my copy of Demon Copperhead that also "travelled to someone else's home library" and didn't realize it's okay to replace it. Thanks for that tip.

    ReplyDelete