"What shall we give to dad for his birthday?" my sis asked me.
This was a challenging question. My dad has said he doesn't want anything. At age of ninety-one he has everything he needs and has wanted. He wasn't too keen on a birthday party either but the offer to celebrate the birthday together with me pleased him. He softly requested a salmon-broccoli quiche and "kama-kreem" - a creamy dessert made of kohupiim (quark), cream cheese, whipped cream and kama (milled flour mixture). We happily obliged.
We still didn't have a gift for him. It was on the morning of the double birthday gathering when I had an idea, and a bright one I might add.
"We'll take him to photo exhibitions at Fotografiska," I suggested. My sister agreed.
The day after the party my dad, a hobby photographer all his life, walked in the halls of the photo centre, looking at a senior Estonian sports photographer's exhibition, international street photographer Feng Li's White Nights collection and legendary photographer Elliot Erwitt's iconic white-and-black photos. He enjoyed the art.
My dad makes a good subject for photos too.
Terje,
ReplyDeleteI was going to suggest food and or an experience, but you already thought of both. Perfect!
Newtreemom
ReplyDeleteYou made just the right choice. Wonderful to have those photos of your dad.
I think you chose well. I am sure that he would have been happy just spending the day with family. Arjeha
ReplyDeleteSounds like you found the perfect gifts - company, food and photos. I especially like that you included photos of him. Happy birthday to your father!
ReplyDeleteYou are right--he does make a great subject for photos! I also loved learning about the new foods. Thank you for including the links. Now I want to try them!
ReplyDeleteWhat a delightful day .Thanks for sharing it and your dad with us. Kudos to you for a perfect celebration!
ReplyDelete