Pages

Sunday, March 2, 2025

whatever you choose to write about is the right choice

When I woke up this morning, even before opening the eyes and pushing aside the covers, my mind instantly started planning for the slice writing. 

Writing first thing in the morning is a good choice. Then again you can also start with morning exercise or mindfulness. Which order you do these doesn't matter. Any of these choices are much better than starting with checking the news or scrolling social media or reading emails. 

I chose to do some morning exercise in the living room before the writing. 

As I finished wrapping wrist weights around my wrists I looked at the sadly grey weather, the bare birch shivering in the wind and rain, wondered where all the birds were, not even one lonely crow in sight, and contemplated how much the view can influence the mood. The mood matters for writing. Then again you can't wait for the perfect conditions because this happens as rarely as planets aligning in the sky.

Lifting my arms on the side like a baby bird practicing before first flight, I thought what the "planets" for writing would be - the location, the time, the view, the things, the mood, the body, the heart and the mind. Slow Sunday morning in the quietude of the living room, in the summer with green nature, sunshine and birdsong, a cup of tea and maybe a slice of cake, relaxed body and joyful mood, heart filled with love and mind buzzing with creativity. Nah, even the perfect conditions don't guarantee that writing happens when you can't decide what to write about.  

Later, while alternating between the cat and the cow, I made a list of possible slices. So many choices; from yesterday and even from this morning, from outside and from home, from my surrounding and from my internal world, about my family and about my work, about how I have changed and now have purple wrist weights. A revelation came to me: Whatever I choose to write this morning is the right choice, so I shouldn't overthink too much. 




20 comments:

  1. I wish I could slice in the morning. Unfortunately on school mornings I get up at 5 and jump right on my exercise bike- there literally is no time to write before I walk out the door at 6. I know I could wake up earlier, but I just feel like I can't. On the weekend, yes, sign me up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was drawn to your title, and I love the advice. For me this is more about the process and living like a writer rather than the perfect piece. I try to keep reminding myself of that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, before starting every year, I worry about not having anything to say; yet, like you, if I relax and notice and reflect, the words seem to flow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how you connect morning slicing and exercise with mindfulness. My favorite line is the one about how you cannot wait for the planets to align for that perfect moment to write.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such important advice even for writers who have sliced for years. I have learned the hard way about the importance of stretching...a future slice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Terje! I love reading your posts. It's like I'm sitting right beside you. I loved this sentiment: "Nah, even the perfect conditions don't guarantee that writing happens when you can't decide what to write about."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Terje, I agree: There are no wrong choices in terms of writing choices in this challenge. The world tends to rush into my mind when I awaken, but I do like watching the sun rise and loosening up w/ exercise each morning. You write about the possibilities in such a poetic, ethereal way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your slices are always such wonderful mentors in how to think about writing and what kinds of moments can be mined for meaningful slices!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the idea of not overthinking what to write about. That whatever topic you choose is the right one. Our days are filled with slices. We just need to pick one a day. arjeha

    ReplyDelete
  10. My favorite lines are ‘lifting my arms to my side like a baby bird practicing before first flight’ and ‘how I have changed and now have purple wrist weights’! There’s the poetry you found!
    PS I often think of you, as I am in dreary , low-light winter- and I know you in your northern latitude have it for much longer. Reading you has taught me to appreciate how tea and cake, candles and cozy socks can help!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I so agree - whatever you decide to chose to write will always be right. I have made plans in previous years (because that is how I work) but this year I am hoping (planning?) to take every day as it comes and see what turns up. I always enjoy "hearing" the insights you share.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this post! Captures so much. Your line: "alternating between the cat and the cow" inspired me to do yoga poses today and I wrote about it in my post.

    ReplyDelete
  13. As I read your slice, I feel it deep down. My writing has slumped and I fear that what I have to say will be trival at best. I feel better about my first two slices after reading this one. We are writing, and that it what matters. Thank you for giving me a little courage today! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Terje, your words are a delight as always. This line gave me pause: "Later, while alternating between the cat and the cow, I made a list of possible slices." I read it three times before realizing you were talking about yoga poses and not tchotchkes or tea cups!
    Love the revelation you shared: "Whatever I choose to write . . . is the right choice, so I shouldn't overthink too much." Great words to remember this month.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love reading your writing! It's interesting that with a list of slice ideas...you chose to write about the process. I wonder if those ideas will become future slices, or not. I found myself nodding along when I read this line- "Any of these choices are much better than starting with checking the news or scrolling social media or reading emails." I agree 100%! Does that mean I do that all the time, NO...but with your reminder, I want to be more intentional now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Terje, lovely. I could see "the bare birch shivering in the wind and rain" I'm fascinated with the idea of aligning the "planets" for writing. I'm going to think about my ideal location, time, view and other conditions, and maybe even try to line up some of them for a day of writing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Terje, I always love to read your slices. There is always a positive attitude in your voice. Like Denise, I paused as you painted an outside scene for us. Nature awaits us each day whether it is delightfully sunny or grayish. It is up to us to provide the mood to write. May you continue to write with a flair.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes that's exactly right that whatever you write will be just the right choice and to avoid the overthinking. I agree that first thing in the morning is always the best time to write and then I don't!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hmm ... could I get myself out of bed early so I can start my slices in the morning instead of at 10:30pm? I love hearing how slicing percolates for you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This has been my experience too. I overthink it, but ultimately realize there's ALWAYS something to write about--even if it's writing about not having anything to write about. Love this!

    ReplyDelete