Pages

Friday, March 14, 2025

my forever trap

Yesterday I had missed one train because a coaching client stayed a little longer to chat. This gave me almost an hour to walk down one of my favourite streets to the seaside and back before the next train. By the time I sat on the train I was tired from the top of my head to my toes, head from the session and feet from the walking. 

My train ride home is forty minutes. The best things to do on a train: read, people watch, nap. Reading is my favourite option and usually I have a book in the bag. Not yesterday.

Phone is another option. Reading one newsletter after another I came across the same book title. "Tiny Experiments" twice. 

Almost as if I had a mental black out I suddenly stared at the book I had bought with one click fully driven by a desire and without even a split second of cognitive consideration.

Before I had time to start reading, the phone indicated a low battery. Bad luck, my charger was at home like the physical book, the absence of which led me to scrolling the phone. 

Or maybe it was bad luck that the battery didn't die before I bought a book. It would have saved me from falling into my forever trap of buying yet one more book. No regrets though. 




8 comments:

  1. I would say it was good luck tat your phone's battery held out long enough so that you could buy the book. No explanation for buying books is ever required. Enjoy your new read. arjeha

    ReplyDelete
  2. No explanation is ever needed when you buy a book, ever. While I am grateful for the virtual library system locally called Libby, sometimes I just cannot wait. Readers just want to read! I am glad your battery held out for your order and I hope the book is a good one because I just ordered it...sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terje,
    You are not alone in this trap. I am trying so hard to limit my book buying. And now I want to look up the book you mentioned. I’m forever curious about the books people are reading in public spaces. I just finished Orbital by Samantha Harvey. It is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I often find my self wondering how I bought and downloaded that book without thinking. I always enjoy those quick buys. Enjoy reading it on your next train ride. The walk to the sea side sounds lovely as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am in that forever trap as well. I always say there are worse ways I could spend me money and my time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I keep telling myself I will cancel my Audible subscription, but it hasn't happened yet. I'm with you, if there's a book to be had and I want it, I get it. I blame my childhood Scholastic Book Fair years where I didn't get to buy anything. I'm more thank making up for it now. Enjoy your new book!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know what you mean by the 'forever trap'! I have this same affliction, but there are definitely worse things to spend your money on! haha

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh how well I understand the forever trap! And clicking with no pause or cognitive consideration whatsoever. But this sounds like a book emergency to me! What choice did you really have??

    ReplyDelete